Author Topic: Flaming Wheelie Bins  (Read 2016 times)

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Flaming Wheelie Bins
« on: February 11, 2012, 23:10:27 »
Is anyone else sick to death of the sight of the number of wheelie bins about.  We now have 3 wheelies, general household rubbish, recyclables and garden waste plus a waste food bin.  Its not too bad for me as I have a back yard where I can keep them but in flats - ie houses converted to flats and have no garden they are stuck on the front and many are simply left on the pavement for me to bump into them on a dark night.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Flaming Wheelie Bins
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 23:59:49 »
Yes but just wait until they decide that cardboard has to go into a big plastic bag instead...
They started this in December... it's been out 5 times. Even full it blows up the street, this week we finally lost it altogether...  :-X

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:40:36 »
I love my wheelie bins :) but agree with you that it is not so good when issued to people in blocks of flats.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:37:20 »
One thing that we noted round here when they were introduced was how tidy everything was.  South London has an endemic fox problem and unless you put yer bags out just before the council men came (and they are very early here - very good as well I may well add) they were ripped to shreds and spread up and down the road.  The foxes now have a much tougher time of it and there has been talk that this has resulted in lower numbers of foxes but more hostile hungry foxes that are prone to attaching cats etc...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:48:07 »
Swindon looks terrible in areas with terraced houses.  The streets look terrible with everyhouse having one or two wheelie bins and several orange recycling boxes outside on a permanent basis.  They used to be parked against the walls but after fires it is now recommended to put them further away.  It looks awful.

Here in the Cotswold we have to put out rubbish in 5 difference containers.  We are waiting for plastics to be separated which will make one more.  Instead of one dustbin lorry there is now a whole flotilla of them.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 09:06:53 »
We've gone over to one recycling bin.  So everything - glass, paper, tins, plastic all goes in and gets sorted elsewhere.  OK for us but you can't help thinking that EVERYTHING must be covered in broken glass.  They must know what they are doing.

We had foxes that disappeared when we went over to wheelies.  But elsewhere in the town when there is a high student population, they are still there.  Fast food wrapping and not enough bin space for houses of multiple occupancy = fox heaven.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:32:31 »
We have 5 bins as well, I don't mind I prefer to seperate everything :)......I do think they are ugly though in front of the house. We have no back garden access :(
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 14:23:06 »
The plastic boxes for tins get blown away or nicked so tins and bottles end up in carrier bags on collection day.  The blue bags for paper have been long gone so now also end up in a carrier-bag General waste is still only collected once fortnightly and the council cancelled collection of green refuse bins from end of Nov until beginning of March. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 14:32:04 »
We have 3 bins, black, green & silver. The silver is great as we put everything recyclable in it, it replaces the box. The green was cancelled until the end of January.

non-stick

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 18:22:52 »
They are hideous things and make many a street look unlovely. Hard to disguise but easy to move about

Getting to the stage where I practically load them onto the lorries these days

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 19:47:11 »
I remember wheelie bins and never seem to get my own back which annoyed me as we cleaned it.

Here bins have to be out by 7am and you are not allowed to put them out the night before as the bears like them, then they have to be taken in to say a safe place where the bears can't find them, usually a fenced back garden.

They have  paid bin guardians who drive around and check they are not put out the night before would you believe, they go out in the early morning before 7 am and check up on you.

What a job eh.. I am a dawn patrol bin detective!!

Yep and folks are fined if not abiding the bear/ bin rules.

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 15:16:58 »
And we moan about foxes :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal