Author Topic: Musquee De Provence seed  (Read 4359 times)

elsie

• Half Acre
Musquee De Provence seed
« on: February 25, 2012, 18:56:33 »
I'm about to cut open my first one from last years harvest. It's the first time I've ever grown it and I am super excited to see if it lives up to the hype! Anyway, it's just occured to me that I might be able to save the seed from it, as the only other Moschata that I grew were Butternut Squash, and they flowered very late in the season, well past when these were pollinated. I grew quite a few other squash, but am I right in thinking that the different families won't cross?
Oh, and I'm thinking of roasting it in chunks, is that the best way to try it out?  :)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Musquee De Provence seed
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 23:31:04 »
Elsie, yes you are right, squash do not cross outside of theor own families..( there are some lab crosses but I am talking about generally)

Save your seeds, I would mark the packet to reflect the fact that butternut was there but you don't think at the same time and see what you get, chances are they will be good..if not.............

You may get a highly ridged butternut...wow :o and if you do I want some  ..

You will be just fine

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

elsie

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 00:08:33 »
Thanks Jeannine, quite fancy the sound of a ridged butternut myself now  ::) never mind  :)

no-lottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:02:49 »
I was recently sent a few seeds for these Pumpkins because they made fantastic soup, but was told that when the pumpkin was roasted/baked it went to mush. Not sure if I'll bother growing them after hearing that.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:57:53 »
I grew some Musquee De Provence some years ago from seed bought in France and was rather disappointed. A beautiful and impressive fruit, but fairly tasteless in my experience. I may not have cooked it very well - I am better at cooking winter squashes now.

One reason I bought the seed was that at a restaurant meal in Provence we were served roasted wedges of it, soft, sweet and delicious - but I never managed to achieve this effect myself.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 12:50:12 »
It's delicious in soup or baked or roasted but, as you might guess from its name, it needs plenty of hot sun over several weeks to ripen it to full flavour.   It's worth planting in case we do get a decent summer but not as the only variety you grow as it's also a late developer.   I'd plant some Butternut developed for northern Europe as a back up. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 21:51:47 »
I think one problem that folks have with the taste of many winter squash is they eat it too soon. It is just the opposite to summer squash which is at its best when just picked.

Winter squash first needs to be thoroughly mature when harvested, then it needs to cure and finally it needs to go into storage, gradually as it is in storage it gets sweeter as it's starch is turned into sugar,if it is eaten too soon it lacks the flavour as the sugars have not had time to convert and it is the sugar that makes the squash taste good. If it is immature when stored it will either perish soon or if almost mature it will store but will never get the sweetness of a fully mature one.

Hope someone finds this  snippet useful

XX Jeannine

When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 22:15:04 »
Just tried the Hopie pale grey you sent jeannine.  It was lovely.  Turned from green to a beautiful yellow over winter.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal