Author Topic: Switching off water supply with livestock plots  (Read 2744 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Switching off water supply with livestock plots
« on: February 12, 2012, 19:24:10 »
We have 20% of plots with livestock so water is kept on during winter months.  last winter and this one we have replaced and  repaired 8-9 burst taps due to cold weather.  Last year it was rumoured that the water may be turned off Dec - Feb inclusive but caused an outcry due to livestock on site and it was put on the back burner.  As we are on a water meter and the frequency of burst taps - switching off the water supply over these months is back on the agenda. 

Is it asking too much for livestock plotholders to bring their own water supply during these months due to increased costs on this issue.  It is adding £100-200 per year to repairs which need to be passed on with rent rises which could be avoided with a little self help.  I am the site supervisor for our site and have our 3 monthly meeting with the town council to bring up any allotment issues.  I also have livestock but would be willing to carry take water from home if required.  Opinions please.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

jonny211

• Acre
Re: Switching off water supply with livestock plots
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 17:32:43 »
Our water is turned off from the first sign of frost, I buy a couple of 5l bottles from Sainsburys and take those down as and when. I don't think that's too much of a nuisance, better that a frozen tap or burst pipe.

gp.girl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 17:36:21 »
Our water is turned off from the first sign of frost, I buy a couple of 5l bottles from Sainsburys and take those down as and when. I don't think that's too much of a nuisance, better that a frozen tap or burst pipe.

And you only have to buy them once as long as you keep them clean.
A space? I need more plants......more plants? I need some space!!!!

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 17:38:56 »
Ours is turned off , anyone with chickens knows this before they get the birds.

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 20:13:57 »
We have livestock and our water to plots is turned off to plots from Oct -May. The council leave the water on in our toilet/ mini kitchen cabin ( seperate stop thingy) so use this and are very grateful. Although did have a burst pipe on Sunday, lucky I found it about 3pm  as went down to clean the cabin and managed to get someone out from council within 1/2 hour as water pouring out

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 23:12:04 »
The problem is people tend to make a rod for their own backs when it come to water. What did they do before there was no watwer.....carried it without bitching about it
Solve the problem at the AGM let the members vote on when it is turned on and turned off and sick to it ridgidly.
You wil probably find that after that most complaints will come from them that did not attend the meeting so point out to them that they had a chance to vote on it but did not bother to attend.
When it comes down to money the 80% will out vote the 20%
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 14:19:17 »
As 25-30% of our rental income is spent on water, and water rates expected to rise by up to 20% in the near future,  the town council yesterday voted unanimously for water to be switched off 01 Dec - End of Feb with effect from next December '12.   

So now it is just a case of wait for the outcry and hopefully after the first time of it being switched off,  complaints will get less year on year.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 16:30:18 »
So the allotments don't have controle of the water, personally i would try to change that to the allotments having control so the members could decide when its turned on and off, not the council 30% of your income is a lot of money.
Our water is on a meter and at one time was on all year, but then the water bills were not as they are now When big water bills started coming in it was proposed that every one paid £5 extra on their rent and the water was turned off 1st Oct to 1st of May, It was made very clear that if the members did not subsidise the bill then it would be turned of completely, last year it went up another £5 (added to the rent) unanimous vote for the proposal.
Yes there where complaints mostly from people with horse and some that claimed they don't use the taps, the first were told that its the members decision not the committees, the others your paying for it so i suggest you use the taps.
Now we dare not turn the water on a day early nor turn it off a day late simply because the members are having to pay for it.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 18:14:27 »
So the allotments don't have controle of the water,

The association now only really deal with the shop and nursery.  I do the allotment supervisor job and answer to the town council.  The association did not want ownership of the taps as they said they did not want to be responsible for the maintenance of the waterworks.  They wanted the town council to take ownership and be responsible for any repairs and bills.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal