Author Topic: Waiting for purple sprouting broccoli  (Read 7572 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Waiting for purple sprouting broccoli
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 07:47:23 »
If any start to show a hint of yellow then I cut them off as quickly as possible and it may produce some more.  Be brutal.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 10:43:27 »
So surprised that in France no one knows what it is! My neighbour said to me, is that still producing spears? He thought it was calabrese left over from summer!  I said it was "spring broccoli" and that the English eat it. He was amazed.
I got another bag full yesterday so I have frozen it. We are getting a wee bit sick of it! I just ordered some seeds to start sowing again for next winter!
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 21:58:12 »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 22:17:40 »
What month do you sow PSB seeds?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 22:27:15 »
I'd sow them the back end of this month up to early June, Duchess - once planted late in summer a good watering and netting and a long wait  ;)

Ninnysssssssssssss

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 22:56:47 »
Ta!! Ninnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnys :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

steve76

• Acre
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 23:01:56 »
 Hi all
antipodes you say you freeze yours how's best to do this do you blanch or just put it in no fuss??? Iam getting half to a carry bag every picking and love the stuff, would love to be able to have it longer than the season allows..

Many thanks
 steve.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 23:22:59 »
Not a freezer of PSB here, as we don't plant too many plants that we have a glut. I think they are too delicate, a little like asparagus, best eaten fresh.

Someone will be along to give you their best tips.

Ninnys

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2012, 19:03:39 »
How come yours are as tall as a house, Tony? What have you been feeding them??  :o ;D

I'm really enjoying this year's - delicious. And getting loads of about 8 plants too. I couldn't see what the fuss was about when I grew them last year - maybe they're an acquired taste.

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2012, 20:08:11 »
I had almost given up on mine as well - planted last autumn but there are a couple of sprouts now so I won't dig them up for the compost bin!!!
Boydzfish

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 09:26:06 »
I have found that if I blanch mine very briefly, plunge into cold water, and freeze, it is very like fresh broccoli. I use this to extend the season a bit - I wouldn't keep it frozen for months, just days or weeks.

Bing

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2012, 22:06:46 »
mine PSB has  been infected with bugs, they hide under leaf and inside the purple head.

I used slat water to wash them but still have them after boiling.

how to avoid the bugs? anyone?

antsuxx

• Not So New ...
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2012, 12:38:41 »
 :)  My  4 ramainling plants almost ready for picking, took a photo but dont know how to post on here.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2012, 12:42:38 »

Worth waiting for.

Demolished it last night with Barnsley chop, carrots and spuds.     Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2012, 13:01:30 »
Good pickings from my four netted plants, so I will be having them tonight! Yum!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2012, 17:36:40 »
I picked the last yesterday and all 7 plants are now chopped up in the compost bin. I have a dilemma in that I only have an 8 x 4 bed but it is a good bed and under a very sturdy and high cage. I am certainly not growing 7 this year but I have some rudolf and some red arrow on the go. I also have doric sprout doing well and now samson calabrese, so I have to make some cold calculating decisions as the other beds ar spoken for. My thinking is for 2 x samson, 2 x doric and 2 psb BUT which one gives best value for space ie red arrow or rudolf?

My last lot were an afterthought, so I got a great set of psb plants from ebay but unlabelled

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal