Author Topic: Are cauliflower leaves worth eating?  (Read 2220 times)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Are cauliflower leaves worth eating?
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:34:35 »
I've lovingly grown an couple of cauliflowers which have repaid me with plenty of leaves and no cauli. Have to dig them up to make room for onions so are the leaves worth eating?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Are cauliflower leaves worth eating?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:23 »
Oh..Hoooold on there! What cauli is it? 'winter/spring' caulis don't do their caulis until much later date..about march time or even later. So, it could well be that you are rushing with them..after all..the whole purpose to their existence is to flower and produce seeds. Given time, I'm sure they will give you some sort of head but they will need to get back to growing season first to be able to develop and we are still in winter when not much happen.
But if you do need the space.. :-\..eating the leaves.. :-\..try, but cut the mid ribs out and only use the bendy green bits, just like you would eat kale.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:54:10 »
I agree with Goodlife,  If they have come through the winter ok.
Until they produce a tiny tiny cauli there is always still a hope.  Are you sure you cannot find a space elsewhere for your onions. 

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 09:04:12 »
Ditto.....
I only grow the cauliflowers which produce a head in the spring as they are so easy and work for me.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 09:26:31 »
Ifr they are an over wintering type then they will develop about Aptil,and they are worth waiting for, large white curds which will see you through till the next  planting is ready.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 08:13:49 »
Thanks for your help. I've checked the packet and supposed to be ready Feb/Mar so really don't think they're going to come to much but will hang on until I actually plant the onions. Suspect as no one saying the leaves are particularly tasty they may be too tough to bother with.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:17:04 »
good luck! My mum always snuck a few of the smaller,more tender leaves into cauli cheese,and we would all fight over them! I still do the same but have them all to myself as OH won't entertain them,guess its all down to personal taste
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

small

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:34:33 »
The smaller inner leaves are lovely, but I don't know if you get those on a cauli that doesn't make a head. Try them and see, they are only brassicas after all and if you like them it's a sight easier than growing a decent cauliflower....

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 03:47:45 »
Leaves are fine, and you can also peel the stalk, pel it deep and it is very tender inside,

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:54:23 »
Thanks, at least I won't just have to chuck them on the compost heap.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 08:10:23 »
Oh yes..the stalk core!..my favourite part of cauli.
It texture is like biting into apple..very crunchy and usually quite 'sweet' too.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal