Author Topic: Bee hives on allotments - rules  (Read 1919 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Bee hives on allotments - rules
« on: February 12, 2012, 19:37:39 »
We are looking to allow plotholders to keep beehives on site and I am wondering what rules on beekeeping should go into the tenancy agreements.  At present we have:

• Hive to be at the furthest point from shared paths on site.
    Bee keepers must of completed the Bee keeping course.
    Members must be a member of a bee keeping association
- I have been informed that being a member ensures support is always on hand and comes with liability insurance.

I know nothing about this subject and have some queries too:

1.  Is the above correct for liability insurance, if  not how do bee keepers get liability insurance?
2.  Do hives need to be screened off so bees fly upwards when departing the hive?
3.  Do potential bee keepers need to do the bee keeping course before getting a hive or within a set timeframe of getting a hive?
4.  What is the maximum number of hives that you allow on allotments?
5.  Is their a safety distance that should be between other livestock plots?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Bee hives on allotments - rules
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 20:01:50 »
If they're members of an Association affiliated to the BBKA, then they're covered. Number on a plot depends on the plot! A small half-plot would probably be crowded with more than one; 600 square yards with hedges (ie my plot) can take several. It does help if the bees face into a fence or hedge so as to force them up above head height. It's not just stings; people are likely to be frightened by the most gentle bee flying into them. It's worth considering having a dedicated plot somewhere on the edge of the site where everyone involved can keep their hives together.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Re: Bee hives on allotments - rules
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 21:53:04 »
In Sheffield we are limited by the council to 6 hives on each site - rather strange as the sites vary enormously in size. I personally wish people would try not to make arbitrary rules.
Our 6 hives are all together on a plot which is used primarily as an orchard. Consequently the bees don't get too much disturbance. It is important to site the hives so that the bees flightpath doesn't clash with people, but each site should be evaluated on an individual basis. The distance to the nearest paths is not the only consideration. Perhaps they should file a risk assessment?
You are right about insurance through membership in the BBKA. As for doing a course - my question would be which course you are referring to. There are various introductory courses you could do, so are you going to endorse one in particular? I think its generally better to let people police themselves. If they are going to spend £1000+ on setting up they will probably want to make sure they know what they are doing. Competent mentoring is especially helpful through the first year or two - usually available through your local BKA.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal