Author Topic: Toad in the ground  (Read 1607 times)

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
Toad in the ground
« on: February 26, 2012, 19:02:53 »
We found a little toad in the ground yesterday.

It was in the middle of a load of weed roots about a foot deep.

It was still alive - but just don't get why it would have been there - does anyone know?

We put it at the edge of the plot, and tried to cover it with some leaves, hope it was ok.
2015 - New plot. Let's go!!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Toad in the ground
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 19:20:07 »
OH disturbed 2 underground when he was double digging the plot. I found a clay pipe, filled it with leaves etc & put 1 in there. We've never seen them since :'(.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 19:47:42 »
I think they hibernate or semi-hibernate, and even in summer they hide under stuff, probably how they catch things to eat. I often find them in my compost heap at home.

Sorry to hear about your two grannyjanny. But they do come and go - maybe they just change hiding places? :-\

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:40:05 »
toads are quite all right underground. they don't "need" water all the time and I often see them on the lotty
I have loads of frogs in my garden in and out of the pond but the last toad I saw there way in my greenhouse, he puffed himself up and glared up at me while his back legs were going ten to the dozen trying to bury himself
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Bubbles26

• Quarter Acre
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 18:12:15 »
We looked today and he was gone - hopefully back to sleep in the 'safe' ground where we won't have to dig him up again.

Good to know that being in the ground was where he was supposed to be.
2015 - New plot. Let's go!!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 18:23:58 »
We had an allotment Work Party yesterday, clearing out old corrugated iron sheds and the most incredible amounts of sheer rubbish (two dead vacuum cleaners? Masses of twisted iron, broken glass, everything yo can imagine or have experienced) and found two toads. We placed them carefully near our wet ditch to choose new homes, but having photographed them I am so impressed by their beautiful orange eyes.

In my back yard (tiny) I have sometimes found toads among a sort of brick plinth on which I have placed pots of plants, and watered them.

I love toads.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 18:26:51 »
PS I found a newt 2 weeks ago scrambling through my grass, and put him into a cool compost dalek hoping he would stay warm (frosts and snow a few days later) and find things to eat.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 19:40:33 »
They're nocturnal, and hide underground during the day. I lost most of the frogs when I cleared the plot, as they live in long vegetation. The toads are still around, and I find them regularly, hiding under the mulch.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal