Author Topic: Sad news.  (Read 15186 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Sad news.
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 08:14:41 »
So pleased that you have decided to get another little friend Ace. I'm sure that you learned so much from Flynn about his breed(collie).Why don't you get another Collie?Of course it won't be Flynn but from the sound of it you have the space for a very lively dog.There are I'm sure many rescues with Collies who have been too much of a handful for folks living in small spaces with no time to give the the excercise they need.
Whatever you decide I'm sure that it will have a lovely home.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 08:25:31 »
I am delighted you have chosen to have another dog.When our dogs pass away we feel we could never have another one but with the Dogs Homes groaning with homeless animals surely we can find in our hearts more love to give to another animal.

Check out the Dogs Trust.......we sponsor a dog who can  not be rehomed..........they do great work.

I am sure Flynn would approve   :)

Hope you don't mind me putting up this link to Dogs Trust

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:29:10 by betula »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 08:42:28 »
Good for you Ace, look into a Clumber Spaniel,,bigger than most with a lovely disposition.

Good Luck

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 08:49:54 »
I really feel for you Ace, can only echo what has been said here and also second a vote for the Dog's Trust, don't know how far away from the South Island they are, but hope you get a dog who deserves a second chance.

Thinking of you and the Yeti...

K x

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 08:53:01 »
I'm really pleased you are thinking of getting another dog Ace, will it be a puppy or would you have an older dog?

We used to meet a lovely Boxer in the park on our daily walks.  She was the same age as my Graham and they got on really well together.  Even Vera didn't mind her slobbering on her.

[attachment=1]

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2012, 09:00:10 »
Oh...Squash..I love that photo..talking about body language.. ;D That boxer certainly knew when to put tale between her legs when meeting pair of terriers  ;D
We've got young boxer living nearby..and when ever we walk by, if it is in house..it just lie on front
of window and could not care if the sky fall down..so dopey, but when in garden it is like live wire..very funny character.. ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2012, 14:15:59 »
I hope you find another dog ACE and it will pay you to take your time to make the right choice of breed.

I was put off boxers as a child as my friend had one that used to slobber all over the place.  It also produced awful smells from its rear end.   :-X

Nearly fifty years later we bought our first and only dog Meggie, a gorgeous, lovable English Springer Spaniel.  She was wonderful with our grandchildren and never ever showed any aggressive tendencies.  

We had to put her to sleep in January and we have said we would never have another dog.  However, if we changed our minds at any time, we would definitely choose another springer.  

There is plenty of information about them on this website:

http://www.myspringer.co.uk/choosing-a-springer-spaniel.html

Meggie was small enough to sit on our lap to be cuddled and was very affectionate.  She didn't take up too much room in the caravan either.  See below.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2012, 15:22:08 »
I too would highly recommend the Dogs Trust and thought of you Ace, when they showed you 2 of a litter of six pointer crosses, needing a home, on the One Show, from the Dogs Trust.

I am sure you and Mrs Ace will know the dog that’s right for you when you see it.  Often they choose you.  Hope you’re both feeling a lot better it’s such an awful time when you lose a pet.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2012, 20:44:17 »
We looked into the dogs trust, but with grandchildren ranging from a few months old to 16 years we did not want to take on any dog with issues, I know you can train it out of them but we had decided it would be a new puppy or nothing.

Springers were high on our list in fact so high that a smelly little scrap has found it's way into our house today. Chumley as he will be known from now on,  is smelling a lot sweeter after a good bath and is now sleeping off a hearty meal. When something comes running up to you with it's tail wagging how can you say no.   I will put a piccie on tomorrow.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2012, 21:03:56 »
Is that Chumley as in Cholmondeley? ;D ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2012, 21:28:34 »
AHHHH...new one!..lovely.. ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 21:31:38 »
nice news,cant wait to see a pic Ace.congrats on your new pal
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 22:33:31 »
  Ace, how lovely you have a new buddy!!!,  he is one lucky dog.
I am sure he will heal your pain. All the best with Chumley i love his name.

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 01:04:18 »
So pleased, ACE! I'm sure you and Chumley will be good for each other. Look forward to seeing puppy pics - perhaps in a new thread called 'Glad News'? x

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2012, 05:40:33 »
So pleased for you Ace, looking forward to seeing the photos.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2012, 07:01:56 »
Yes glad news it will be on the next thread. We had a bit of a whirlwind day yesterday and after the excitement and a very long drive to view a few different pups, I didn't know if I was drilled, bored or counterpunched. My comment on getting a springer was right but it was not a springer we got in the end. It was a cocker spaniel. He is certainly bright even to the point of rushing in this morning from a walk around the garden to use the paper on the floor in the kitchen ;D I'm still felling a bit disloyal to Flynn, but it was nice to come down in the morning and be greeted by a wagging tail again. We will get him to our own vet tomorrow and make sure he is a good as he looks, he has been checked, but just to be on the safe side.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2012, 07:56:08 »
Please don't feel disloyal to Flynn Ace. Its because the time that you and he had together was so good that you wanted to do it all over again.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 08:00:41 »
Great to hear your news - looking forward to lots of doggy tales

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2012, 08:33:58 »
Just because you have got a new friend does not mean you will forget Flynn.   My grandmother had a cocker when I was a teenager.  I really love them.  It was totally nutty.  Fantastic at hide and seek.  It was very easy to train to fetch things. 

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 09:04:06 »
I've had cockers just about all my life, Ace, and I can't really see past them. They're great lively, affectionate little dogs. My husband called them "greed with a nose"! Love walks but will do without if you're busy. Most of all they just love being with people.

Their only weakness (in my view) is their ears. Because of the shape of their ears they are prone to ear infections, but as long a you keep them combed and clean they are fine. I wish you many years of fun with Chumley.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal