Produce > Ponds 'n' Stuff

thick ice on ponds

<< < (2/3) > >>

Poolcue:
I have stuck a fork in mine for the last couple of days.

lottie lou:

--- Quote from: Nigel B on February 04, 2012, 15:15:41 ---My own smallish pond is next to the greenhouse and I run a small fishtank airpump/airstone all year round.  It mostly keeps an ice-free area , but even when frozen solid the bubbles soon re-make the hole. I had the idea to grow watercress on a small raft floating on the pond, above an airstone. So far it has worked extremely well. :)

--- End quote ---

What a good idea.  What did you make your raft from and what did you grow your watercress in?

Nigel B:
Hi Lou,
The raft is made from polystyrene, about a foot or 14" square and an inch or so thick, with a piece of thin ply (which may not be necessary but it hid the white colour of the polystyrene), on the top.
I cut a hole through the middle of the raft, the right size for a net pot to sit in.... and that's it. :)
I have anchored the raft so the air-stone keeps bubbling away directly underneath it.
The watercress came from the supermarket and rooted really easily and without any trouble at all and is growing and growing. :)
I'll try and get pictures later, but for some reason my computer has fallen out with my 'phone and they are no longer speaking...

lottie lou:

--- Quote from: Nigel B on February 06, 2012, 12:28:08 ---Hi Lou,
The raft is made from polystyrene, about a foot or 14" square and an inch or so thick, with a piece of thin ply (which may not be necessary but it hid the white colour of the polystyrene), on the top.
I cut a hole through the middle of the raft, the right size for a net pot to sit in.... and that's it. :)
I have anchored the raft so the air-stone keeps bubbling away directly underneath it.
The watercress came from the supermarket and rooted really easily and without any trouble at all and is growing and growing. :)

--- End quote ---

hmmm wonder if it would work in my goldfish bowl.

Nigel B:
I have no idea... ;D As long as you supplied some nutrients, or maybe used water from a clean but natural source.. Why not?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version