Produce > Ponds 'n' Stuff

thick ice on ponds

(1/3) > >>

ACE:
You don't need telling, but keep an eye on the kids. I have just cracked mine with a pick axe to help the air get in and dropped a couple of cheap plastic footballs in to help next time. It is nearly two inches thick, unheard of down this way.

Nigel B:

--- Quote from: ACE on February 04, 2012, 11:40:04 ---You don't need telling, but keep an eye on the kids. I have just cracked mine with a pick axe to help...............

--- End quote ---
Cheers ACE. I just cracked ours too, and it helped tremendously. I've had hardly a peep out of them. ;)

shirlton:
Ours doesn't freeze around where the waterfall is apart from when the temperature is really low.Then we float balls or stand a saucepan full of hot water on top until it melts. I wouldn't break the ice on it with anything because of the fish.

ACE:

--- Quote from: shirlton on February 04, 2012, 14:43:22 --- I wouldn't break the ice on it with anything because of the fish.

--- End quote ---

The fish are at the bottom 4 feet down in the big pond and 3 feet in the three smaller ponds

Nigel B:
My own smallish pond is next to the greenhouse and I run a small fishtank airpump/airstone all year round.  It mostly keeps an ice-free area , but even when frozen solid the bubbles soon re-make the hole. I had the idea to grow watercress on a small raft floating on the pond, above an airstone. So far it has worked extremely well. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version