Author Topic: Big Garden Birdwatch  (Read 3803 times)

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
Big Garden Birdwatch
« on: January 28, 2012, 11:15:04 »
Don't forget that this weekend is the RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Re: Big Garden Birdwatch
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:52:44 »
the sparrows deserted me this weekend and the fatballs remained untouched :o I cannot believe there were only 4 sparrows and 7 goldfinches.Oh well the sparrows must have been somewhere else being counted
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 19:49:18 »
I had quite a few extra birds this morning whilst I watched for the Bird count.  Surprise visit from 5 Yellowhammers.  I have not seen them in my garden for a couple of years.   I should think the numbers were up because it was a cold day and they were all topping up on food.   

:D :D

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 21:31:31 »
Took me mum to her bungalow and whilst sitting in the back room pearing through the window we had 3 green parakeats hanging on the trill circle tearing it apart which amused me sister as she wants to import some of them to Norfolk but ive told her the 5,000 residents are staying put in middlesex....well unless the threatened cull takes place.

Gazza

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 00:04:39 »
Typical.......the regulars stayed away! No long tailed tits, Great tits,Woodpecker, Dunnocks or Chaffinch. And just 1 Goldfinch where there are a few. Had Coal tits, Blue tits, Blackbirds,Magpies, Robins and wood pigeons.

It was interesting though, specially reading the RSPB forum..........Waxwings! I want to see Waxwings!!
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 21:19:42 »
Well now the weather has turned cold in Europe you might. They like red berries and migrate in small flocks when its too cold at home. Winter 1996 I was in Lincoln and had waxwings eating pyrocantha berries for several days...

star

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 23:23:38 »
I do have Pyracantha and loads of berries on it.  ;D I'll keep watch....thanks Green Lily ;) :D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 23:32:50 »
.. but does your Pyracantha have red berries? I had a yellow berried one - beautiful but apparently the birds don't like them!

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 23:43:48 »
Great tits, blue tits, robins, goldfinches, first ever lesser spotted woodpecker at the feeder, wood pigeons, nuthatches, dunnocks or sparrows..........wish I could really recognise the difference

We witnessed a WHOLE fatball carted off by a squirrel, again.  I'm really going to have to source bigger ones  >:(

Ninnys

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 00:37:44 »
We witnessed a WHOLE fatball carted off by a squirrel, again.  I'm really going to have to source bigger ones  >:(
Ninnys

How does the squirrel get the fat ball out of the feeder?  Does it take the lid off? 

I assume you have a feeder like this: 

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/BirdFeeders/Classic_suet_ball_feeder.htm

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 22:15:10 »
Ninnys,

We get Dunnocks & Sparrows - the Dunnocks have thinner more pointed beaks & fine dark streaks in the feathers, the head & neck are greyish colour

Debs

gaz2000

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 23:40:00 »
We had a woodpecker active last week at work

We have vast amounts of oak trees and others at work on a large country site and have woodpeckers each summer but never in january?

Herons are sitting by the koi ponds as normal with no luck  ;D 

I must get some photos to share

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 01:03:14 »
Ninnys

How does the squirrel get the fat ball out of the feeder?  Does it take the lid off? 

I assume you have a feeder like this: 

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p/BirdFeeders/Classic_suet_ball_feeder.htm

No Pauline, sadly just laid on the tray of the feeding station  :(

I used to break them up and put them in this but the squirrels either bit through the chain or there was a weak link

Debs, if I can get my new camera to focus on them I'll post a picture, from your description we probably get both  :)

Gaz, if my sister in law hadn't spotted it for me I wouldn't haven't believed it either at this time of year, we were eating breakfast!

Ninnys

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 12:52:18 »
I cleared my bird table it was covered with snow,made up a nice mix of fatbits and mixed seeds ,bread,lentils ,oats and raisins,put this lovely mix on the tables 4 ,then went indoors to watch what came  :D a gang of seagulls !they were like locusts I know they need food but they can fish for some  ,all I can do is wave something from the window to scare them so the little birds get a chance ???

star

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 23:40:50 »
.. but does your Pyracantha have red berries? I had a yellow berried one - beautiful but apparently the birds don't like them!

Yes it does have red berries, the pigeons and blackbirds have been feasting all winter  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal