Author Topic: free website,any reccomendations?  (Read 4964 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
free website,any reccomendations?
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:30:11 »
Morning all!
Im setting up a new (small for now) business and am looking for advice re free websites. I dont mind if its one of those ones where its free for the first 12 months and then you pay after that. Hopefully Ill be a bit more established by then. Ive had a go at webs.com but they put free ads on the home page which take up a lot of space. I dont care how basic it is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance Rach x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
Re: free website,any reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:34:25 »
Hi,

I've heard positive things about Moonfruit.com - free webspace I believe but I must admit I haven't used them personally.

I have used 1&1.co.uk and found them very good, they aren't free but I found them pretty reasonable.

good luck
sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:55:50 »
Thanks sheddie,Ive had a look at moonfruit,found a lovely template which is perfect,but Ill be B******D if I can susss out how to do the rest,cant even type the title (cue gnashing of teeth)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:58 »
Ha ha! - yeah, webs are always a fun challenge aren't they! - thats why I used to like frontpage, it was just like using Word.

Just had a quick look and I think you need to go into the 'edit' option obviously and then theres a +button at the menu on the top of the page to insert. A menu popped up on the left and it gave me the choice of insert body text or insert title text? - not sure if thats a help - I just had a quick flick!

Looks like one you might just have to keep having a play at - they never seem to make them simple!

ps, did you pick the 'Fresh and Natural' template with the nice photo of the apples by any chance?
 ;D
Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 11:22:19 »
 ;D yep,the green beans sold it! We now have a title,slow progress being made and OH has sensibly gone out to leave me to it..thanks sheddie
R x

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:49:42 »
Weebly is excellent for novices and also for more expereinced users

http://www.weebly.com/
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 12:53:09 »
Thanks Nick,just stumbled across weebly and so far it looks a bit more user friendly.moon fruit was driving me mad,it was so hard to enter simple text,and I'm ok ish with IT

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 19:50:42 »
just in case anyone else setting up a website reads this,deffo try weebly first,its so simple I'm actually really enjoying doing it! :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 19:55:13 »
Quite often your internet provider gives this service, check with them.

That was how I started.

Then again you could try browsing through these;

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+website+hosts&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 20:14:21 »
Thanks TG,think Ive tried all of them now,and reckon weebly best by far,for me anyhow

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 21:39:10 »
Weebly is excellent for novices and also for more expereinced users

http://www.weebly.com/

I agree it looks simple to use but it is not FREE see here;

http://www.weebly.com/tos.php

I get suspicious of things that are supposed to be free so had a look around and found this page,

Personally I like to see what it wil cost before I I venture into sites such as these.

Edit;

For example; the new apple ibook author software which i am trying out at the moment is free to produce but when you read the small print you find out that you need a ISBN which costs $125 plus they take30% off the selling price of the book

It seems a bit expensive to me,  e.g a £4 book will cost me  around £ 80 for the first book and 30% off every book there after, meaning I don't start making any money until I have sold around 40 books.

As I say I am suspicious of freebies.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 21:58:13 by Tee Gee »

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 21:45:54 »
My understanding of it is you pay only f you use certain features,which Im not,,Ive not been asked for any payment so far..wouldnt mind paying a fee,within reason,as hopefully my website will be a good tool for my new venture

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 19:43:02 »
To be fair to weebly they do have a decent reputation but of course they are trying to make money - they do offer pro features which are payable services but you can use the free version with no real strings attached.  That's pretty much an industry standard business model for a lot of Internet startups these days - nothing wrong with that! 
The whole iBook thing is just another reason for me to avoid Apple..

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 09:22:19 »
I had a go and did a basic few pages for my husbands business, only took me about an hour and very straightforward. I paid for a domain name for a year and a bit extra for a private domain to reduce spam, but when I search for the site via a search engine it doesn't come up at all. Is that anything to do with it? I can go direct to the site so it has been published.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:59:52 »
What's the url??

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 20:08:44 »
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 21:46:46 »
Deb P,

it looks to my untutored eye as if you registered the domain today?

If so, I am afraid that search engines can take a while (a week or two) to pick a new domain up ... and this assumes that there are no problems - google in particular can be quite fussy.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 00:00:20 »
Yes that is correct, if so that would make sense! I was worried that registering it as a 'private' domain would affect it when searching, which would be a bit pointless for attracting business !

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 00:59:46 »
http://www.andypatrickjoiner.com/

Google has already picked up this post so I am sure your site will be crawled soon.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 18:20:46 »
if anyone would like a look,ive nearly finished it now,let me know and i'll pm the link (would post it here but not sure if allowed)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal