Author Topic: Grapes  (Read 2289 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
Grapes
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:45:33 »
Anybody interested getting some grape plants/cuttings and growing your own fruits..I came across this nursery that has BIG selection availabe right now..
http://www.sunnybankvines.co.uk/3201.html

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Grapes
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 13:30:03 »
Quite like the look of that...  :)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 10:30:35 »
hmmm, interesting...

I noticed they said they'll grow anywhere in the UK, but will they fruit I wonder?!

I had a vine for about 4 years up here in the ever-cold North East and it grew like stink, but I never got a single grape!

May well have another look at this though, I'd kind of like to give it another go  ::)

sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:34:20 »
Naughty Goodlife! ;D ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:39:10 »
 ;D.... ;)

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 18:44:23 »
To get the grapes to ripen in the North outside, you will need to choose a very early ripening variety, as well as a sunny, well protected position, say against a wall. They do not give information on early ripening varieties, so you would need to contact them for advice.
I grow 3 different varieties in my greenhouse in Glasgow, and they ripen at different times.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 21:07:35 »
Thanks Realfood,

I'll do a bit of reading up then!...the one I had was on a south facing wall, but as I say - it never grew a single grape let alone ripen! - must have been a French one and just waved the white flag?! - ha ha - just kidding.

Cheers for the advice, will look about for an early variety
Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 21:13:44 »
Regent works well here Sheddie... but you are way North! :-\

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 22:36:04 »
hmmm, interesting...

I noticed they said they'll grow anywhere in the UK, but will they fruit I wonder?!

sheddie

If you want a reliable early grape you need to look at the hybrids with native species from N.America - they grow wild even north of the US/Canada border and are also adapted for humid conditions (unlike traditional grapes which started from Greece through to Georgia).

Sunnybank do a good selection of these.

Himrod is a hybrid white seedless type and is incredibly early and reliable - I have to admit I grow in London but I get good crops on a N.-facing wall.

It's definitely your best bet in the North.

Cheers.

PS. Further south the seedless red hybrids like Reliance perform better than any traditional types I've ever seen - even seeded ones. Reliance has a marked strawberry flavour but if you like a traditional taste Glenora is truly delicious and nearly as early.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 23:31:01 »
Would you prefer Himrod over Lakemont Vinlander?  :-\

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46:54 »
Cheers guys,

Yeah Saddad - way North indeed - and feeling it this week!...its freezing!

the Himrod looks good, just googled it and looks like it should do the job. The prices at Sunnybank aren't bad either - there are a couple on Ebay and Sunnybank are cheaper!

;D
ta
Sheddie

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 20:49:39 »
Would you prefer Himrod over Lakemont Vinlander?  :-\

I've read unbiased accounts that say Interlaken is very similar to Himrod and may even be better for drying, but Himrod is everything I want in a white (green) grape so I've never tried any others since I got it. I don't know much about Lakemont.

I'm much more interested in red hybrid grapes now - especially as they can be as different from ordinary grapes as apricots are from peaches.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal