Author Topic: Mushrooms, where to grow?  (Read 1269 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Mushrooms, where to grow?
« on: February 07, 2012, 17:57:02 »
Just got this from suttons and they show mushrooms growing on a windowsill. I'm confused now as I bought a kit and thought I had to keep them in the dark  ???
No, link didn't work  :-\
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 17:58:47 by manicscousers »

gazza1960

• Hectare
Re: Mushrooms, where to grow?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 18:43:29 »
Im all ears manicscousers as last season I did  exactly that too and kept ours in the dark and mine failed miserably,but we do have 1/2 a pkt of the spores left so im interested to try one more time.

Gazza

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 19:58:37 »
These are windowsill containers to grow white and brown button mushrooms in
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetables/Vegetable+Seeds/Mushroom+Windowsill+Kit+-+White+Button_232465.htm?sku=232465
it seems to contradict itself, says keep out of sunlight but is a windowsill kit  ???

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 20:37:05 »
different mushrooms have different requirements regarding amount of light (if any), moisture or what kind of temperature they need.
So if you have instructions with your kit..follow them.
Keeping out of sunlight is different to keeping on window sill..they might require filtered light but don't like straight sun light. Just like in forrest..light levels differ a lot and certain varieties can be only found in edge of the wood where light is strongest and other deep within woods where sun don't touch the ground but its not dark neither etc..
Widowsill kits are good on those widows where sun don't get..like north side..or inner room if such a sill is not available.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 20:38:44 by goodlife »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal