Author Topic: Any interest in allotments in Newquay?!  (Read 7562 times)

kittynewquay

Any interest in allotments in Newquay?!
« on: January 05, 2012, 20:22:26 »
Hello everyone!

I am new to this site so please treat me gently!!

I was wondering if there might be any interest from forum users in allotment plots just outside Newquay? My boss has inherited the family farm and wants to put some of the land to good use! A couple of friends have casually mentioned using one of the fields for allotments but this has really only been over a beer in the pub so we have no idea how much interest there might be. Any interest or ideas anyone??!!

So, I hope you've all had lovely Christmas and New Years and any feed back would be gratefully received!!

Thanks all

PS I'd love one as I don't have a garden at the moment and this site is spurring me on to grow things again - what a lovely site!!

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Any interest in allotments in Newquay?!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 20:28:40 »
Welcome Kitty!

Some of our members here are on private allotments on farmland so I'm sure they'll be along to explain how they run.  One way of gauging local interest in allotments is to contact the council in the area your land is in and ask how long the waiting list for a plot is and hiw long you would take to get one.  Unless your area is particularly generously endowed with plots, the answer is likely to be several years.l

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 20:41:06 »
Hello and welcome............I have an Allotment run privately by a Farmer on his land.

He rents them out on a 12 month contract.

You need good access and hopefully some parking space.Water is a must to my mind.

Our farmer marked out every plot .

Don't know about permissions from the council,you will have to enquire.

The farmer advertised in the local press and he filled up very quick.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 20:43:34 by betula »

kittynewquay

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 21:09:37 »
Thanks very much ceres and betula for your speedy replies!

I am making enquiries about any local council plots but there doesn't seem to be a great amount of provision. There do seem to be a few private sites in this bit of Cornwall but not really near Newquay. The access is ok and parking and water shouldn't be a problem so I'll keep researching!!

Thanks for your help.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 22:48:00 »
Welcome from me too. 

I am also on a private site started three years ago.  We have well water and have to walk to the site down a lane though can made quick deliveries closer.

The farmer initially contacted the local gardening club.  We have about 50 plots an extra row being put in each year.  But I think we may have reached a max now  We have a communal shed.  Plots and paths were marked out and the grass on the plots removed by pigs who also manured the site. :D
We also have an annual contract.

We are not allowed, sheds green houses, polytunnels or livestock.

The charges are more than many official allotment site and we had to pay a deposit. Have you also checked out The Land Share site started by Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall and channel 4.  http://www.landshare.net/

The paths are mown for us and the farmer deals with invoicing and various niggles.  So I think you might need the patience of a saint.   He sorts out retenanting due to non cultivation though we have relatively low churn rate.  Though I believe he is happy with the results.  At any rate he is continuing with the plots.  We are all really grateful that he took this on.

Do pm me if I can help with more info.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 09:49:26 »
hello kittynewquay welcome mines a privately owned site near victoria roche where abouts nr newquay are they going to be

colb69

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 13:14:37 »
Hi Kitty

i live in newquay and am desperate to get an allotment but there is such a waiting list for the small amount of allotments
the council have available. there is a group on facebook called would you like to have an allotment in newquay, according to this group there are well over 100 people in newquay on the list so it could take several years to get an allotment from the council. The administrator of the group Andy Weir wrote this:-
"Newquay Town Council have a duty to provide (let) allotments to those that want them, and although there are well over 100 people on Cornwall Council's waiting list (in the Newquay area), only 3 people have written to Newquay Town Council asking about allotments - the threshold for NTC to pro-actively start looking for land is 6.

NTC are (now) planning a meeting in the new year to discuss allotments, so if you're interested in an allotment write to the Town Council and register an interest - personally I rather see them spend £45k on land for a sustainable community, than on Diamond Jubilee mugs for all school children."

Please look at this link http://www.newquaycouncil.co.uk/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=att_download&link_id=197&cf_id=24
section fp141/11 of the pdf states the council is due to have a council meeting re allotments.
The face book group also states :-

Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908 (c.36)

(1) If the council of any borough, urban district, or parish are of opinion that there is a demand for allotments . . . F2 in the borough, urban district, or parish, . . . F2 the council shall provide a sufficient number of allotments, and shall let such allotments to persons . . . F2 resident in the borough, district, or parish, and desiring to take the same.
(2) On a representation in writing to the council of any borough, urban district, or parish, by any six registered parliamentary electors or [F3 persons who are liable to pay an amount in respect of council tax] resident in the borough, urban district, or parish, that the circumstances of the borough, urban district, or parish are such that it is the duty of the council to take proceedings under this Part of this Act therein, the council shall take such representation into consideration.

the cost which ive looked up on others in the uk with allotments range from £1 a week (£52 a year) to just £20 for the whole year!

I dont know if all this info is of any use to you but if you do manage to sort out anything with allotments i would be very gratefull if you could message me.
me and my family so want to be more selfsufficient and our garden is only cpl mtrs square.

cheers colb69

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 14:06:47 »
Welcome to A4A Col69.

Coastie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 12:23:40 »
Hi,

Did anyone ever go ahead with this??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal