Author Topic: We've got frogspawn  (Read 4022 times)

Apple Dumpling

• Half Acre
We've got frogspawn
« on: February 15, 2005, 23:09:38 »
 I'm so excited. For the first time ever in our pond.  :D. We built it 3 years ago. Frogs have been hanging around the garden for a couple of years - and now babies. Is this early? Is it late? Will they harm the goldfish? Will the goldfish harm them? Why do they remind me of school dinners?
Who planted all these weeds?

Simon05

• Half Acre
Re: We've got frogspawn
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2005, 12:43:53 »
seems a bit early for frog spawn, I have had a pond for 4 years, had frog spawn from year 1, not got any in my pond this year yet, but you want to watch out for dragonflies, my tadpoles over the year kept reducing until I saw the dragonfly larve eating them, also cover your pond when you have tadpoles, blackbirds eat them like sweets. I have also got newts in the pond

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 12:55:43 »
Congratulations!  I have been keeping a close eye on our pond and the pond in number one sons school as it was full to the seams with spawn last year, but none yet.

And school dinners.......sago!  :P

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 13:20:35 »
Plenty of frog spawn at home in Devon at the weekend. Seemed early to me as well!

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2005, 13:58:56 »
 >:( :(

We have had a pond for almost 10 years now and never ever had any frog spawn.  I have seen some Toads in the garden but never a frog.   The frogsspawn seems early but nothing surprises me these days with the so called global warming.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 14:43:41 »
Keep looking in our ponds and still no signs of frogs or toads never mind frog spawn.  Still it is pretty cold here so they are probably wise to leave it until the temperature is a bit warmer.  It is a lovely sight though and nice to watch the little tadpoles gradually coming out.  Hope it happens here soon.   :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Apple Dumpling

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2005, 19:04:06 »
Jerry, I am in Devon too. It should be one of the mildest parts of the country, but it feels very chilly at the moment, but from what Weathercheck says its going to get colder.

Anybody know about the goldfish v tadpole situation?

Who planted all these weeds?

Debs

• Hectare
  • If at first you don't succeed, try and try again!!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 16:12:30 »

Looking for something to occupy the kids during half-term, I suggested to them that we look for frog spawn.

Two disappointed children later ...

Will leave it another couple of weeks and check again.

Debs

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 15:37:57 »
Still no spawn here in my pond, but plenty of amorous activity!
Apple dumpling I have a friend who last year actually pulled a frog off one of her poor fish! Frogs can get so excited they will look for love in all the wrong species! I actually move my spawn from my pond to a wooden barrel at the bottom of the garden, any left behing tends to dissapear, be it fish or perhaps if they make it to taddies, birds.  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005, 20:19:38 »
Goldfish do eat frog tadpoles!

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 20:37:23 »
I'm so excited. For the first time ever in our pond.  :D. We built it 3 years ago. Frogs have been hanging around the garden for a couple of years - and now babies. Is this early? Is it late? Will they harm the goldfish? Will the goldfish harm them? Why do they remind me of school dinners?
first let me congratulate you. i have frogspawn every year and yes it does seem a Little early but i am sure it must be right. no they will not hurt your  fish but the fish will eat some of the spawn when they turn in to tappoles but don't worry there will still be plenty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal