Author Topic: Size of first polytunnel  (Read 2350 times)

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
Size of first polytunnel
« on: January 18, 2012, 16:40:08 »
Hello again,

I think I now have permission from Mrs Stedic to buy our first polytunnel.

Now I'm wondering about the sizes and various features.

I have a space 9ft wide and 22ft long into which the tunnel will go. Idon't want to spend much more than £400 soam trying to work out whether it is better to have a longer 6ft wide tunnel, or a shorter 8ft wide tunnel.  I wonder if a wider tunnel is better for raising seedlings, but if ultimately that width is wasted when growing tomatoes etc.

I see that First offer things like timber base rails, crop bars and stormbraces and then very expensive adjustable side vents - which of these are worth it?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Size of first polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 17:06:45 »
whether it is better to have a longer 6ft wide tunnel, or a shorter 8ft wide tunnel.

My choice would be 8ft

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 17:25:26 »
I'd go for 8' wide too... unless you can't trench it in you don't need the add -ons...  :-X

dave61

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 10:48:32 »
hi I don't mean to hijack this post but I am looking to put up a polytunnel this year, will it need to be on level ground or can it be erected on a slope the gradient is aprox 1ft many thanks  :-\
dave

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 14:39:01 »
Regarding the width of your tunnel Stedic, remember you will need access to both sides of the tunnel for (re)clading. If you only have 9ft of space, an 8ft tunnel only leaves you 6" of ground space either side.
However if you have plenty of room either side then I would definitely go for 8ft.
Dave a slope shouldn't be a problem at all, in fact it helps with ventilation, with the hotter ait venting out of the higher end.
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

dave61

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 15:31:03 »
thanks pescador that will save me a fair amount of work ;D
dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal