Author Topic: Greenhouse insulation  (Read 5057 times)

andyh

• Not So New ...
Greenhouse insulation
« on: February 15, 2005, 19:33:04 »
Hi all

On moving to our new house I have inherited a greenhouse with bubble wrap insulation covering all walls and the roof. Can anybody advise if I should have all this in place? Also, do I remove it all at once when temperatures outside increase and at what time of year this may be.

I'm a bit confused!!!

Andy

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
Re: Greenhouse insulation
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 20:00:46 »
Hi Andy, nice to see you on this site, with ref to bubble wrap in your greenhouse, keep it on untill middle of april whem the tempreture is around 60f  as this is the temp seeds germinate at, some people who use there greenhouse more than i do say keep, it on as it helps shade the plant of the sun, do you have any heat and water in your greenhouse, what sort of seeds or plant do you want to grow, do you wish to use the greenhouse all year round, as these things must be taken in to account , there are people with more knowlege about growing in greenhouses on this site that will give more advice
hope this helps
catch you later
windy  :) :)
my allotment
heaven

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 07:11:14 »
Hi

Thanks for the question Andy this is one of the things I have to consider too.

Most people I come into contact with during my work have the bubblewrap fixed into place during the winter months only, as Windy has already said.
The other interesting aspect is shading... I came a cross a lady today who has the green netting (windbreak/shading type) hanging from the apex to the eaves inside the greenhouse.. she told me she uses the bubblewrap from the eaves down (?) and around the seedlings.

I did think of using the green shading netting 'over' the greenhouse during the 'hot  ;)' summer months with weights on the end to hold them in place... is this an option?

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

andyh

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 19:32:07 »
Thanks for info. I will keep the insulation in place until April as advised. If I do this should I be ventilating the house on warmer days, any ideas of internal temp of greenhouse that would be the trigger point for required venting.

Thanks

Andy

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 17:12:46 »
Trigger point for venting should be around 65 degrees.

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 20:49:56 »

I did think of using the green shading netting 'over' the greenhouse during the 'hot ;)' summer months with weights on the end to hold them in place... is this an option?

Inside it creates shade but doesn't do anything to keep the temperature down as the sunshine has already got in and warmed the air, it may feel cooler because the sunlight isn't falling on you but the air temp isn't much different. Outside it can keep the temperature down by stopping some of the sunlight getting inside, ideally it should be a couple of inches above the glass.  It has the most value on the south facing roof panels, but remember to leave slack / gaps for the vents to open. 

It needs to be firmly attached because it catches the wind (imagine it like wind-break netting) and lifts up. Would like to put on the outside of my greenhouse but I've nothing to attach it to. I'll just have to wish for the gardening fairies to bring me some automatic exterior blinds...

A.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 20:51:28 by shug »
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal