Author Topic: Doodlehouse Pugly chicken coop for around £60  (Read 7861 times)

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Doodlehouse Pugly chicken coop for around £60
« on: January 30, 2012, 18:31:28 »
Doodlehouse make attractive chicken coops that are intended to be a rival to Omlet.  Their website is here http://www.doodlehouse.net/

They recently launched a simpler model called the Pugly, using the same principles of construction.  They also made some in plywood as opposed to recycled plastic, and these are now being sold off cheaply on eBay.

Two have just gone for £35 and £27.20 respectively, plus £25 delivery.  There are more tomorrow.  See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Affordable-beautiful-chicken-painted-hen-ark-coop-p2db-/140690469004?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item20c1ce308c for an example.  The seller's eBay name is "cartmanrocks" if you want to do an eBay search.

The plastic Pugly lists at £240, but I understand that the typical retail is £200 or so.  So the plywood one is a bit of a bargain.  The thing to watch out for would be that ply will swell and warp if the surface is broken and water gets in. So you'd need to be vigilant about maintenance and touch up any scratches or damage immediately.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Doodlehouse Pugly chicken coop for around £60
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 18:51:40 »
d**n thats tempting but I have never kept chickens before - presumably I need to get some sort of enclosed run to keep them safe?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 19:18:35 »
Yes, you do, and you can get "low rise" chicken runs fairly cheaply.  But a so-called "walk in run" is worth its weight in eggs.  These guys aren't too expensive, and have a good reputation. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chicken-run-panels-build-your-own-chiken-run-/320838459875?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item4ab37661e3

You should allow at least one square metre of run per bird if they're going to be confined for much of the day.  More is better.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 19:55:44 »
Well you have got me thinking now.  I guess I had better do a bit of quick research but one question if you dont mind..
Is it practical to keep chickens with two cats, cats that are fond of chasing our feathered freinds??

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 21:32:12 »
From what I understand, cats adapt rather well to chickens, whereas not all dogs do.  I think a chicken is such a large bird that a cat treats it with respect (especially after a peck on the nose) whereas they'd be happy to chase a sparrow.

If you hatched chicks, you'd have to keep them away from the cats until they were a bit more grown, though.

See the Omlet and Practical Poultry forums for much discussion on chickens v pets.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 07:01:42 »
Thanks - time to do some reading.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:18:37 »
We have loads of cats around here..and any new comes might keep eye on our girls for day or two and then gets bored..other than that, they are not trouble.
When my girls were just little chicks..that raised bit more interest..but its only for few weeks as they soon grow up.
Ohh..go for it..you really want to.. ;) ;D

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 18:20:27 »
I want to do it but I am really busy at the mo with work stuff - is there an idiots guide to keeping a couple of chicks that you can recommend??

Stedic

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 18:40:21 »
Well you have got me thinking now.  I guess I had better do a bit of quick research but one question if you dont mind..
Is it practical to keep chickens with two cats, cats that are fond of chasing our feathered freinds??

I have two cats and have chickens - one cat is entriely disinterested in the chickens, except that he likes to sleep in their nest box when they're out in the garden.  The other cat is a real bruiser who hunts all the time. HE'll stalk the girls, but has only gone for them a couple of times.  On every occasion they stand up to him and chase him away, so now he just stalks and attacks butterflies instead!

Book wise - I recommend one call something like The Urban Chicken, which was pretty good

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 19:12:31 »
The best chicken book that I have (of quite a few!) is Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens by Gail Damerow.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storeys-Guide-Raising-Chickens-Storey/dp/1603424695/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328037163&sr=8-1

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 17:20:04 »
Ta for the recommendations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal