Author Topic: Germinating peas and Sweetcorn help please..  (Read 7876 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: Germinating peas and Sweetcorn help please..
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 16:51:05 »
Thanks Chris... I know the sweetcorn is to be done in april - good idea to stick the loo rolls in the module trays - thanks. Peas - to get them early ones going I'm going to do in 1 mt guttering lengths and simply pour / scrape them into a shallow trench without disturbing them.. Then the main crop will be sown direct - no time to play too much this year..  My GH at the plot is mainly for growing some tropical veg etc as a trial but will have a small staging shelf to get some heat into some seedling pots!  My other GH at home will be the main seed starter.. 

ps. good to see you up and about on the forum again.. maybe get my seeds from you soon then  ;D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 20:05:37 »
Hi Gavin, the sweetcorn went out yesterday... you should have it by tomorrow I'd haave thought...

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 20:13:36 »
Hi Gavin, the sweetcorn went out yesterday... you should have it by tomorrow I'd haave thought...

Arrived today.. pls pm me your details to send Gemsquash seed.. cheers Gavin
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Normylass

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 23:55:20 »
I had a running battle last year with peas and sweetcorn. The local mice were having parties on my plot with them :(
I planted direct only to find the next day every last one had been dug up and eaten.
So I planted in the greenhouse in pots and the little blighters found them in there too..... I eventually found a small hole in the greenhouse base, blocked it up and put jeyes fluid all around the greenhouse to stop the smells so they couldn't find their way back.... I also had a gardening glove chewed up and they had a store of marigold seeds collected under some empty pots :-X
I ended up with no peas and bought some sweetcorn seedlings in the end as by the time I'd managed to stop the parties it was too late to sow again to get a crop....My hubbie thought it was a battle of the wills...... I will try again this year...mousetraps at the ready.    ;)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2012, 17:57:38 »
and possibly a ferral cat...  ;D  That's why people say to soak in paraffin,,

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:41 »
I direct sow my peas so nothing to add there
but the best tip i ever had about sweetcorn was to dib the hole put in seed but dont fill the hole. Toilet rolls are fine for this but as above its a bit to early yet. I will be doing mine at the last frost week around 18th March here.

Good luck
x Sunloving

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal