Author Topic: How long do veg seeds really last?  (Read 2313 times)

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
How long do veg seeds really last?
« on: February 26, 2012, 18:45:02 »
Found our trusty tin of veg seeds in the shed today. Some of the packets must be 3 or perhaps even 4 years old. Should I be ruthless and sling out the old ones, or am I needlessly subjecting myself to commercial pressure? Grateful for any advice.
John

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: How long do veg seeds really last?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 18:50:42 »
Things like parsnips & carrots need to be fresh. I've sown 10 year old tomato seeds & had good germination.
I couldn't throw away any seeds without giving them a chance. You could try chitting them on damp paper.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 18:51:51 »
What Janet said  ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 19:14:54 »
What Janet said  ;D

Yes that's right.  However they will not last as long in a shed as they would in a nice cool drawer indoors, even better inside a sealed jar in a fridge.  Good luck.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 19:24:03 »
A lot of things - peas, beans, brassicas, plenty of others - should be OK. Parsnip family and sweet corn would be unlikely to do well. I regularly grow seeds out after that much time, and they germinate well. I store some rarities in the freezer, but most of my seed lives in the shed as well.

zaz283

• Quarter Acre
  • Life's just too short
    • Allotment Heaven
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 07:08:29 »
Seeds will last between 2 and 4 or more years, depending on the variety. You could try saving your own seed... for instance with leeks you get large amounts of viable seeds for free with the added bonus of summer flowers, just by leaving two or three behind to mature.

I've written a simple guide to saving your own seeds, click the link below to read. Hope it helps.

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/2012/02/saving-your-own-vegetable-seeds.html

Regards, John
We can wish & we can wish
But we can never have
What once seemed ours forever

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:29:51 »
Helpful guide JohnMac.
Found keeping in box in fridge really helps. Last year grew Marmande tomatoes from 1995 seed. Also, sowed parsnips from saved packet 2 years running, going to try for a third this year just sowing more thickly and not until early May.

Macy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:49:00 »
I've used 4 or 5 year old parsnip seed with success. However, I do chit them first (on damp kitchen roll in a spread box), then into paper pots, and then into the ground when they appear (learnt from here iirc). I keep meaning to try chitting carrot seed too (and then sowing in the ground rather than into paper pots), but maybe it's too much faffing about.

Other seeds I've used 3 or 4 year old seed - I up the sowing rate to allow for failures as they get older. I normally sow in cells, and I do still usually end up having to thin out.

I'm not as good as I should be at keeping seed, but I'm tight enough to try old packets first.  ;D A week or so can be made up if needs be for the sake of trying is my own opinion.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 17:18:38 »
Seeds are getting so pricey now, especially F1s, it's worth a bit of effort keeping any left over each year as long as possible.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 18:42:27 »
You could soak them for a short time in a mild solution of Miracle Grow, it may wake up old ones. Look on the net for exact dilution as I have forgotten

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Number Six

• Half Acre
  • Lincolnshire
    • Number Six
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 08:44:13 »
Many thanks for all the excellent advice. I shall certainly be keeping my seeds in our old 'beer fridge' from now on (well, provided it's not needed for beer!). Cheers, John.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 19:50:03 »
Curcubits7yrs, brassica and tomatoes 5+ years and more if they've been dry and cool. Parsnip usually 1 and I take my hat off to getting it off after 3/4 years. Carrots, turnip, swede 2+yrs. Lettuce 3yrs, beets 4+,onions 4 leeks 3. Celery, celeriac 7yrs. Peas and beans 2/3 yrs. Roughly as in Laurence D. Hills 1963 ;)

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 21:29:59 »
Last year I found an old seed packet dated 2005 ,with just three very shrivelled sweetcorn seeds inside ..... I sowed them and to my surprise they came up and were the most delicious sweetcorn we ,d ever eaten ! Definitely do not throw away old sweetcorn seeds. 
Trespassers will be composted !

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 00:24:29 »
Nearly all of my seeds are out of date apart from parsnip and carrots. I simply sow more to make up for any that don't germinate.

I buy new when the old packet is empty or if I have a complete failure.

If in doubt throw them out sow a few and see!!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal