Author Topic: Our kitten hit by a car...  (Read 8788 times)

Nigel B

• Hectare
Our kitten hit by a car...
« on: January 28, 2012, 19:56:38 »

The poor thing. It has already become a bit of a local celeb.... Following us to the shops. Waiting outside and following us home again.
Standing with the schoolkids in the mornings and waiting for them in the afternoons... Climbing into impossible places. Visiting a whole round of people to say hello...

So, I just had the knock at the door saying it had been run over and it didn''t look good. Someone had been kind enough to pick her up and take her home with them. She's not well at all and is going to require at least surgery on her back leg or pelvis.... If she lives. She's been taken to the vet by the people the rspca call out.

Now then. What happens when an animal owner can't afford the vets bill? I did tell the lady that collected her I had no money and the most I could do would be to pay the bill off as and when....
Does anyone know how this will play out? (Assuming the cat is going to live.) I believe the rspca have a 'incident number'. Will they be able to help?
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

betula

• Hectare
Re: Our kitten hit by a car...
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 20:06:35 »
Such sad news.

I think if you are on benefits the PDSA will treat the kitten for donations.

If not lets hope you can pay by instalments.

I really hope all goes well for you.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 20:28:38 »
How awful for you, I am so sorry. I know my vet will let you pay by instalments & when one of mine was knocked down a few years ago on a Sunday afternoon we arranged to meet the vet at the surgery but sadly she died on the way but he never charged at all, so I guess its fingers crossed that the vet is as kind to humans as he/she is to animals.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 20:40:01 »
so sad   would hate it if one of mine was hit   even when i get the curtains and the rail fitting pulled of the wall by one of them

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 21:07:45 »
Gabanna was hit by a car when a kitten (not my cat, but he has visited today, didn't know he was in and certainly didn't want him in the bedrooms).  He limped for a while and was a very sorry cat/kitten but is fine today and can still jump the wall from his house to mine.  I think it cost the owners a lot of money, but I am sure that if you cannot afford the vets fees, some charity, Cats Protection League will help the poor kitten.  Hope he/she gets well soon.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 19:51:31 »
............. so we phoned the vet this morning expecting the worst...
"Oh she's much brighter this morning. We're waiting for the vet to decide if she needs an xray.....And the bill is £370 so far"  :o
"Why? What happened during the night?"
"Oh nothing. She  slept well and is showing good mobility on her leg." :-X

Anyway, it seems the RSPCA may be able to help. I borrowed a fiver and they were happy with that as it confirmed I accepted there was a bill I had to pay. Fingers' crossed they will sort it out.
So she's home. Very very sore. Carrying her back leg. Very unwilling to do much except drink a little milk. But she's home, safe. :)
Thanks for your good wishes all. They may just have worked. ;)
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 19:54:37 »
Great news Nigel! I hope she makes a full recovery. Keep us posted!

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 11:34:03 »
Brilliant news for a Monday morning. Good luck with the bill though.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:43:18 »
Hope you get help with the bill, lots of people give to animal charities, so hopefully this could be used to help you with the bill.  You had better check how much any further treatment is going to cost as I think Gabanna's bill was £700 (luckily not my cat).  I can understand why people keep cats in as the terrible twins are often down the side alley and big vans and lorries go down there too fast.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 14:18:03 »

So far so good. :)
She's eaten some food and has cleared the sunny windowsill where she's soaking up the afternoon sun and trying occasionally to groom herself. No-one is going to be picking her up for a while yet though, she's as sore as a sore thing that's just been hit by a car. She'll allow one ear to be scratched, or she'll rest her head in my hand for contact, and that's it.
She spent 10 minutes in the garden doing her business this morning but carried her leg on the way back in, so it's going to take a while. She also looks like she's been punched in the face and might have lost a whisker or two, but her teeth don't look broken or damaged and her eyes are clear. Both her front legs have shaven patches.
All in all a very lucky cat. Its put blimmin' years on me though.  ::)
As to the bill, nothing else heard yet but the lady from the charity we had her from has promised to do what she can to help too. I believe she's speaking to the vets and the RSPCA, so fingers' crossed.... And somehow or other we simply must insure the animals that keep coming to live with us.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 16:19:14 »
Ourselves & 2 of our daughters have been 'adopted' by cats ;D ::).

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 16:51:30 »
So glad your kittie is doing so well,hope the recovery is swift..our alfie wasnt so lucky last year when he lost an arguement with a  transit van, Oh still not over it as he witnessed the whole thing,Its horrible now as he really doesnt want to let our remaining cats outside,but it would be cruel to keep them indoors after always being out.
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 16:55:52 »
Im so glad she is Ok Nigel.  One of ours got hit last year and the bill was over £400 - mostly for an emergency vet (we thought he was dying as he wouldnt stay awake - it turns out that cats often "turn off" like that and he was fine after a few days).  The bugger is insured now..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 18:51:27 »
Glad she's ok!

For future ref - check out www.animalfriends.org.uk they are a not for profit, low cost pet insurers - you should get a good price from them!
Grow yer bugger grow!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 15:14:04 »
This is the picture I was trying to upload from my phone but couldn't.

Wee Chuffit, just after getting home from the vets, doing what comes natural and being comforted by her best friend.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 16:02:10 »
What a lovely picture Nigel
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 16:07:14 »
Fantastic photo Nigel, my own dogs hate cats so I love to see photos where dogs and cats obviously get on well together.

Does your dog like all cats, or just your own?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 16:30:12 »
That photo is adorable
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 16:31:22 »
The cat looks a proper sweety and so pleased your pup has taken to her,crackin picture fella.

Gazza

small

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 18:19:13 »
That's a lovely picture, Nigel! You should have saved it for the comp.....would get my vote!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal