Author Topic: IBC's/ Adblue  (Read 2037 times)

Macy

• Quarter Acre
IBC's/ Adblue
« on: February 02, 2012, 12:02:35 »
I've spotted a few IBC's around the industrial estate where I work which I'm eyeing up for water collection for the plot. They appear to contain AdBlue which is a water and urea mix. Before I knock on and ask have they any going spare, can anyone enlighten my even if I thoroughly rinsed them out would they be safe to use on the veg? My reading of wiki is that it should be alright, albeit I can't see how it'd be organic, but even way back in my school days I wasn't much of a chemist! Thanks.

Buster54

• Acre
Re: IBC's/ Adblue
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 13:06:46 »
I don't think anyone can guarantee anything to be 100% organic the blue drums I got had been used for storing diesel I gave them a good couple of washes in an unused dumping spot on the plot and stuck them under the guttering of my shed then let nature take it course
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Macy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 13:17:33 »
I don't think anyone can guarantee anything to be 100% organic the blue drums I got had been used for storing diesel I gave them a good couple of washes in an unused dumping spot on the plot and stuck them under the guttering of my shed then let nature take it course
To be honest I can live with non organic whilst they wash through/ dilute over a season. I'm more concerned about whether it's safe really. Especially when the little ones are "helping" and their love of water.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 13:30:21 »
The internet appears to say that AdBlue is harmless & non-toxic. Urea is in plenty of fertilisers - it wouldn't bother me. Think of it as clean wee!

Macy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 13:32:16 »
Thanks. I'll go and ask next week when I've some hope of borrowing a trailer.

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 17:58:17 »
The internet appears to say that AdBlue is harmless & non-toxic. Urea is in plenty of fertilisers - it wouldn't bother me. Think of it as clean wee!
Actually wee is sterile as I understand it, but yes, urea is the active ingredient of HCA (Human Compost Activator), and my search of the internet also reassures me that AdBlue is fine on the allotment.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 16:51:23 »
Urea is like ammonium nitrate... so good for the garden.

Just a tip.. I have an IBC newly fitted to my new plot and I have been advised to paint or cover it so the algae dosen't grow.. I'm getting some builders bags and stripping the stitching and going to tie them around like a tent..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal