Author Topic: Starting spuds early  (Read 1417 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Starting spuds early
« on: January 27, 2012, 09:07:15 »
I just got the Thomas Etty newsletter, and it suggests planting spuds in February. You get a slightly earlier crop, and that bit more chance of avoiding blight. I've known people do it, and it works. The leaves may be trrimmed back by frost, but if so it doesn't matter. The important thing is that the plant is establishing a good root system which the frost can't reach.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: Starting spuds early
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 09:19:50 »
Here our last frost is more or less in March, I have planted earlies before end of February. and I usually harvest them in June. They are not always brilliant but by then you are so impatient it doesn't matter! I just mulch them as soon as they come up, they usually don't pose any problem. I don't plant all, usually just two rows, about Feb 20.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 09:20:05 »
I got some going quite early in bags/pots in the greenhouse and got some good earlies last year.  Not sure I would put them out on my clay soil that early though as they could rot off.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:29:11 »
We usually start some off for Corneys challenge in february. The earliest in our poly is first week in march :)

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 12:30:20 »
I usually put mine in in Feb not really to get an earlier crop but to get them in the ground out of the way before every thing else needs planting they will survive just look how many volunteers come up that have been in since last year, last year the ground was cold so they didn't come up any earlier than anybody Else's on the lottie the danger is you can get caught with a late frost and if you haven't been quick enough with the fleece will burn the tops and set you back a couple of weeks.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 20:31:48 »
My second earlies/early maincrop- Nicola I think they were, have chitted so enthusiatically that I now have 20+ of the little darlings in pots... living in a pretty chilly sun room. By the time they've grown out of their accommodation I shall have to set them out. Dunno, say early March I guess.Yes I do have fleece [got caught last year] but expect them to be ok.
They'll be followed much later by my PFA seedlings which are getting much more consideration and care! ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal