Author Topic: why do people still use antiquated and nonbeneficial gardening techniques  (Read 17879 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
I am not sure who decided what techniques are " Antiquated and non beneficial. I started gardening in 1948 and have never stopped learning and trying different ways. I do chit all my potatoes because I think it helps get them going when planted, there is no WORK involved so if it does not improve the crop nothing is lost. When I give a talk to a society "average 2 per week"  I always start by saying this is how I do it , it may not be how the book says but you can see my results , I also say this on my website and I have had several say how good it is to read such a comment. I do not think there is a right or wrong way we do it OUR WAY>

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
I am not sure who decided what techniques are " Antiquated and non beneficial. I started gardening in 1948 and have never stopped learning and trying different ways. I do chit all my potatoes because I think it helps get them going when planted, there is no WORK involved so if it does not improve the crop nothing is lost. When I give a talk to a society "average 2 per week"  I always start by saying this is how I do it , it may not be how the book says but you can see my results , I also say this on my website and I have had several say how good it is to read such a comment. I do not think there is a right or wrong way we do it OUR WAY>

Absolutely Laurie - thumbs up to your comments.

Ninnys

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
And the main reason to sideshoot tomatoes isn't anything to do with productivity. It's because, in our unreliable summers, air circulation is important around the plants and letting greenhouse tomatoes become too bushy invites fungal disease.

Ninnyscrops.

• Hectare
  • downtoearth
..........and Laurie,

Bikini vases, I remember about asking you about them when I first got into showing. I'd looked at the sites and they were all plastic.

These were purchased from an 'old stager' who donated them to our local horty society and I'm so proud to be able to put new blooms in the old metal vases that have seen many a show and last the test of time.

Ninnys x

plainleaf

• Hectare
djbrenton that's why they invented fungicide and it has been shown that pruning tomatoes are vectors for  other issues including diseases and insect issues.

Chrispy

• Hectare
djbrenton that's why they invented fungicide
I think I have lost the will to live.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
I've got about half and half raised and flat beds which seems to work well. Certainly wouldn't go back to growing potatoes in a raised bed. Like looking at potatoes chitting and imagining the vast crops to come :)

goodlife

• Hectare
Because for us non-obsessive types, our gardening is an expression of our personality with all its quirks and foibles.  For most of us, our starting point is the traditional method because that's what we are exposed to when we start.  If it does the trick for us, we stick with it, if not we look for other ways.  We get pleasure from conducting our own experiments and working out what best suits our particular combination of soil, aspect, climate and personal objectives.  We're mostly not professionals or scientists or driven to wring every last ha'penny out of our plots.

ETA - And most of us are generally receptive to new methods and techniques.  But such a lot depends on the skill and attitude of the teacher.  I'd have great difficulty accepting advice from someone who started off telling me how stupid and ignorant I am.  But that's just me - YMMV.
Phew..that saved me a lot of writing.. ;D Whe I saw the heading I already new who started the post.. ::)

Ophi

• Half Acre
I expect different methods work well in different conditions.

On my clay soil I would not need to firm brassicas as the clay does it for me.

On the other hand I have only one path across the middle and I move it each year.  This is because I use wood or bark chips that give a nice layer of rotted stuff underneath that can be dug in when I move the top layer of chips.  If I leave a path it becomes set solid and water logged over the winter and can not be used to take a short cut.

goodlife

• Hectare
Code: [Select]
djbrenton that's why they invented fungicide and it has been shown that pruning tomatoes are vectors for  other issues including diseases and insect issues.
I don't know what's going on over your side of the pond..but here lot of people do try to avoid using chemicals when growing their own food.
If I want tomatoes with fungicides, I go and buy them from shop..
the whole point for growing your own for many of us is that we can get 'clean' food...and before you start your next 'argument' I amend that last statement.  The whole point for growing your own food for me and many other people is, that we can get as 'clean' food as possible... ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:34:40 by goodlife »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Plainleaf Chill out man.  

Part of growing my own is knowing it is not covered in chemicals.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:38:36 by ceres »

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
I've been growing tomatoes without fungicides, pesticides or chemicals for years and the worst I've had is some late season blight in maybe one year in 5 and no pest issues. I'll stick with what works for me and accept the odd blip in order to grow 'clean' tomatoes.

gazza1960

• Hectare
We are only going into our second proper season and I guess our naivety puts us in a position of enjoying our
growing vegetables to the fullest,and yes, we have made some mistakes and will continue to make errors as we learn about the knowledge that takes a life time of growing to get right.
I offer no condemnation of the "posts title" as without debate our learning will be stunted,but everybodys reposts have been interesting as it shows there are firm beliefs in what you do, as well as the convictions of the poster
standing by their suggestions.

Im enjoying this post as it highlights to Jude and myself how centuries of growing by seasoned "lottys" can still be
discussed on how and what to each person is right.

we,ll just enjoy the experience and look back with fondness "hopefully" on all the pointers you guys and gals have given us at the end of the season......including this very debate.

Thanks

GazNjude

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
I sometimes think that growing plants and caring for babies are not too dissimilar sometimes....you receive a lot of well meaning advice from more experienced growers/parents which you may or may not dutifully take notice of, and in the end you keep doing the things that you find work for you, and discard the rest!

What makes gardening so challenging (and fun of course) is that the seasons bring us different challenges every year, so sometimes even what we have decided is a 'tried and tested' technique fails us!

Also please don't worry about posts like these, us 'old hands' are well used to Plainleaf's 'light the blue touch paper and retire' technique!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
I do not think there is a right or wrong way we do it OUR WAY>
Laurie (and goodlife), quite agree.
Fungicide - yuck yuck yuck, if I want chemicals I will buy from the supermarket!
Are we really in this for "production"? Some yes, sure, but I am sure most of us are really just gardening for fun, like watching their flowers grow, wail a bit when things rot or don't germinate or get scoffed, and like getting our hands dirty and watching the ladybirds on the roses or the worms in the compost. I am dead chuffed if I get a lovely lettuce or a box full of tomatoes, but if I don't I won't slash my wrists because it's all been good sport.
And yes like others, I knew on reading the title that this would be ten minutes of my life that I would never get back, but just can't resist a fight!  ;D
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Please stick to discussing the topic.  Posts containing insults or inflammatory comments will be edited or removed.  It's been an interesting thread so far, let's keep it that way.

claybasket

• Hectare
Plainleaf you sound very serious about your growing techniques and using chemicals,have you got a farm?I just grow things without aids ,natural I get failers ,and success's ,I  :-don't worry about the do and don'ts or the rights and wrongs ,life is to short .

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Plainleaf you sound very serious about your growing techniques and using chemicals,have you got a farm?I just grow things without aids ,natural I get failers ,and success's ,I  :-don't worry about the do and don'ts or the rights and wrongs ,life is to short .

I think that whilst it's always interesting to read about the latest commercial techniques, they don't always "downsize" successfully to allotments and back gardens.  Sometimes that's because of the costs of the equipment or treatments, and that can go either way.

On the one hand I can't afford professional spraying equipment, but on the other I don't cost my time.  So "old fashioned" labour intensive techniques may well be the better choice for most of us.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Growing in blocks doesn't require raised beds at all. They have three advantages; they define the paths between them - but there are easier ways of doing that - they help deal with waterlogging, which is one of my problems, and they minimise bending if you have a bad back. All too often, I think people put them in because it's fashionable.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Everyone to their own
Spuds sit in the egg boxes waiting for the soil to warm, so they are naturally chitting whether you like it or not
As said, side shoots for me, are taken off to get better air circulation and to control the number of branches on the plant
Firming the ground is not done by everyone but it gets very windy on my plot, so the gets planted deep and the soil firmly patted with a spade
My paths get moved around in rotation, as they are stepping stones or scaffold planks, why on earth would this be right or wrong
I don't parafinate peas but some people get results, so that's their way
Explain whats wrong with straight rows of veg, I put a line down and follow it, it's easier and tidier
Back to the Tommie's, I don't put chemicals on them or anything else, a good Tommie grower wouldn't need chemicals would they.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 16:17:03 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal