Author Topic: Amaryllis Bulbs is it poss to keep for next year and get flowers ?  (Read 3134 times)

GRACELAND

• Hectare
Amaryllis Bulbs is it poss to keep for next year and get flowers ?

I have tried two years running now the bulb is ok and it produces leaves .

But no flowers ?

I love the plant and even have just bought a new one  just starting to grow

Any tips Please ?
i don't belive death is the end

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
Re: Amaryllis Bulbs is it poss to keep for next year and get flowers ?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 19:26:13 »
The answer is yes, as I now have a bulb that produces 2 flowering stems each year, and I must have had it for at least 4 years.
After flowering, I keep it growing in the house until it is warm enough to take it to an unheated greenhouse where I feed it well till the Autumn, when I withhold water and let it die down. Then bring it back inside and start watering again. My original bulb is now surrounded by many babies.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 20:43:29 »
Repot them, feed then, and as Graceland says, let them dry out and die back in late summer. Then start watering again.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 21:00:05 »
Try  feeding them tomato fertilizer during the summer, let them have a cold snap-outside to go dormant and keep them in a tight pot. I've had one pot of double apple blossom flowering for years -3 bulbs together are now 9 and finally have been re-potted. Some are shyer than others but worth persevering with.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 19:34:28 »
thank you will keep trying   :)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
I have amaryllis bulbs from one bought over 20 years ago, they flower every year and I have given many away to charity raffles. I feed them after they have flowered for about 6 months LEAVE THE LEAVES on. Give them a dry period and then restart them , I pot them on into bigger pots until they are big enough o separate out giving me up to 6 more bulbs. You can see on link below.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:35:38 by laurieuk »

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
Sorry I had forgotten I had taken some things out of my blog.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Very nice Laurie. I bet they take up a lot of space indoors!!

GRACELAND

• Hectare
 :o wow  i hope  i can keep this year

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:46:28 »
I do have a fact sheet about how I do amaryllis that I give away when I do a pot plant talk if anyone wants to give me their email address I will be happy to attach a copy. It is the way I do it but we all do things in different ways.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 17:13:13 »
I ended up putting all my amaryllis on the compost heap.  They flower for a week or so and look bizarrely out of proportion with their great blousy trumpets on tall bare stems..  Often the stem falls over because the flower heads are so heavy.  They then take up loads of space and look pretty boring, if not ugly, and need feeding and watering till the foliage dies down and then they still need space till they start into flower again.  I started off with two bulbs, ended up with a dozen pots of the things and got exasperated.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal