Author Topic: Wild flower seeds  (Read 2428 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Wild flower seeds
« on: January 21, 2012, 16:34:23 »
This years RHs in bloom is to do with wildflowers. As we are involved, we are given a 10m sq pack of seed. Do they need a fertile soil? Can we plant them around the perimeter fence if we strim all the grass back?
All advice gratefully received  :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Wild flower seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 17:19:34 »
I'm sure I read somewhere that the ground doesn't need to be too rich. I may be wrong
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 09:05:50 »
are you planning on leaving the grass there ?   if so i would scrape the soil a little before sprinkling the seed or failing that start them off in seed trays etc and then plant out as plug plants a bit more able to complete with the grass

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 09:41:21 »
If its going to be permanent thingy?..then the less fertile the soil the better. Grass will always over grow any wild flowers and for grass needs reasonably fertile soil for its growth. Wild flowers have adapted to grow with minimal nutrients in areas where grass won't flourish.
If you have grass and don't want to get rid of it as such..what you can do is..in spring do you first few mowings lowest possible setting in you mower, but be sure to collect all clippings so there is no extra fertility going back into soil. This way you will weaken the grass and maybe even kill it in places...there you have ideal gaps for your flower seeds or even better if you have grown them in small plants and transplant them.
It would be good if you can grow or get some yellow rattle plants..those are parasitic plants and feed 'on' grasses..thus weakening them and allowing other wild flowers to flourish.. ;)

Other than that..ideal way would starting with wild flowers would be scraping the fertile top soil off...but it can be bit drastic looking site for a while. Do you know what wildflowers have you been given?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:56:38 »
We have corn cockle, corn marigold, corn poppy, corn flower and something else corn  ;D
Our aim is to strim the grass around the perimeter fence and grow them there, would they be better in patches, it would be easier to take up the grass. I think, as far as the RHS is concerned, it's to mark the queen's jubilee for this year only  :)
Not really feasible to grow them on as plugs as it would be me doing it  :-\

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 14:50:54 »
Ah..they are all annuals then. If you can make few bald batches on your borders..you can sow direct and let them do their thing.. ;)
Yep..strim it all down..as far as you can get it..perharps pull up some 'clumps'.
It WILL be LOVELY.. ;) ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 14:59:02 »

We have corn cockle, corn marigold, corn poppy, corn flower and something else corn  ;D
Is Kev moving in then? ;)    :o :o :o

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 17:37:28 »
Is Kev moving in then? ;)    :o :o :o
;D ;D ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 08:44:41 »
 ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"