Author Topic: Allotment timewasters!  (Read 3695 times)

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
Allotment timewasters!
« on: January 22, 2012, 14:48:32 »
Hi Guys,

Not sure if you'll remember, but last year i moved to a new 'posher' allotment site where I'd been given a half plot. Although it meant downsizing, as I had a full plot on my old site, I grabbed it with both hands as to get into this particular site had in the past been a case of 'dead man's shoes'. Anyhow, a year on and the secretary is still trying his best to get me a full plot (I think he's been pretty impressed with my work and commitment over the last year!), but his hands are tied with a couple of timewasters we have.

We have 3 or 4 full plots that are just never worked; on two of them, I've not seen anyone there over the last year at all. The secretary does his bit and rings them up to find out whats going on, but they just keep making excuses and give promises that they'll get ther plot sorted. They then seem to call up maybe once or twice, have a bit poke around and then dissapear again.

I just can't understand for the life of me why people keep doing this?! - why keep the plot on when you obviously haven't got the time or interest or commitment etc to do the work?

gggrrrrrrr - its just so frustrating watching these full plots go to rack and ruin when I could be growing on them!

Not to be too blunt, but how do your sites deal with getting shot of people like this?

thanks for letting me vent my frustration!! ;D
Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

plainleaf

• Hectare
Re: Allotment timewasters!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 14:53:07 »
most sites have % cultivation requirements. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 15:25:11 »
We tend to take a firm but friendly approach and our letting sec is the very model of diplomacy.  We have few rules but one is cultivation, as a plot gone to seed is a problem for everyone.  So if you are not cultivating your plot we will try to get in touch to see if all is well - sometimes people are genuinely unable to tend to the plot due to illness etc.  We also ask people to tell us if they are in difficulty so we can make allowances.  But if no response is forthcoming we issue a written warning which gives them a couple of weeks to get on with it - we normally hand deliver them.  The committee will then look at the plot to see if there has been an improvement, if not then a final warning goes out.  After that if things are no better then they are evicted.  In practise we rarely have to evict anyone as they aften leave of thier own accord once they realise they can't handle it. 
Our main issue is with newbies who underestimate the time and energy needed to get and keep a plot in a productive state.  Some of them just need help and advise and maybe the lend of some tools - other are never going to be able a go of it.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 16:55:47 »
Hi,

Thanks for that and interesting. The plot holders in question are all young'ish blokes, 30's, 40's and are perfectly fit and capable. I don't think really there is anything standing in their way; I wonder perhaps whether sometimes people just like the idea of having an allotment, but underestimate how much work is involved. As I say, the secretary will usually ring them and they'll be full of false promises and the saga just continues. Maybe sending a letter is a better idea, as people will invariably say they want to keep the plot on if they get a phone call out of the blue. It seems to me that people may be too embarassed to admit they have lost interest or whatever when getting a call they weren't expecting, whereas if they get a letter, its any easier option just to ignore the letter!

Anyhow, I'll just have to be patient I guess, the secretary is a great bloke and has promised me a full plot as soon as one comes up, but its frustrating and also holds you back as I dont really want to put too much money into my current half plot (buying manure, fruit bushes etc) when I know I'll be moving to another plot eventually - aaarrggh! ::)
Sheddie
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 17:36:11 »
I agree that it is so annoying, with people wanting to cultivate an unused plot.  Ours is a Council run site, and they have to go by the rules, that says (correct me if I am wrong), that they have to send out letters and it can take a year to get someone off the plot.  Luckily I have not had an uncultivated letter yet (although from the state of my plot today, have been in bed for 3 days, and it has been so cold that mine is very uncultivated at present). I really hope that when I realise it has got too much work for me I will give it up, but some selfish people keep up just for the fruit trees or whatever and never do any weeding.  I don't feel too guilty as looking at some of the plots they are much, much worse than mine. Roll on Spring.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 17:59:37 »
to some people it makes a good taling point round the local bar

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 19:32:14 »
A lot of people don't realise how much work it is (I certainly didn't!), and have too many other commitments. You need to be extremely diplomatic, but I get annoyed when a plot isn't cultivated and it takes years to get anything done.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 20:00:27 »
You might like to sugest this to your secretary

Take photo,s of the offending plots and print them off, write the plot number on the photo.

Have the secratary present the photo,s to the committee at the next meeting and if they agree that the plots are not being cultivated  inform the plot holders by letter that when the next rents are next due they will be given one years notice and that their lease will not be renewed the following year.
Even if they cultivate the plot before the rent period still serve it as they more than likely will think they have got away with it and stop cultivating again

If they then cultivate the plots you can always cancell the notice to quit if not when they come to pay the rent you serve them with a notice that they have 14 days to remove what belongs to them and at the end of that period the locks will be changed
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 23:21:15 »
Our site has a rule that 75% minimum of any sized plot must be cultivated.  What about the secretary giving notice to downsize them to a half plot if they do not cultivate?  Over the past 4 years I have approached a few plotholders regarding their plots non-cultivation and offered them to downsize as a full plot seems too much.  After they downsize, their 1/2 plot is usually worked much better...  The odd one has also  decided to give up their plot after accepting the fact they just do not have the time.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 15:33:08 »
This is an approach we're beginning to use as well, as our full-sized plots are massive, and too much for many people. Too early to tell how well it's going to work, but it's better than having people give up  because they're overwhelmed.

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 21:18:48 »
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your suggestions and information, I'll keep plugging away and will let you know how I get on - fingers crossed!

The secretary even suggested to one of the plotholders that he could swap to my (fully cultivated) half plot and give up his overgrown full plot in return (as he's been about 3 times in the last calendar year) but again, he was just given assurances the plot would be sorted....we'll see!

thanks again
sheddie

digmore

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 22:24:03 »
Hi Sheddie

Is your site council:- council managed or part managed ie. your assoc. run on behalf of council. Or a private site or fully self managed assoc.

If its council or part managed, you may find the council will evict said time wasters on the grounds of non cultivation, that being any or all of plot not being used for the purpose of cultivation.

If its private it gets differcult, the Landlord may be happy that the land is producing revenue even its not being used. It you are an assoc. on private land you still need to check with landlord as to your powers as a committee to evict.

If fully self managed, your concerns should be addressed to your management committee and they in turn approach the problem of non cultivation.

ie. if you cannot properly use the plot, have the good grace to let someone who needs the plot to help with family food bills.

If you are unsure as to your course of action, contact your local NASLG.

Digmore

sheddie

• Acre
  • Gateshead
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:01:57 »
Hi Digmore,

Its a council site but part-managed, i.e. our committee run it on behalf of the council and the council just get the money basically. I'm pretty sure we must have some kind of cultivation requirements. Obviously the plot holders in question are not meeting the requirements but just give false promises when they are contacted by the sec. I'm starting to think that the method of contact might be prolonging the issue. i.e. - the sec will ring them a couple of times and they'll promise to come up and get their plot sorted. Then they'll come and do maybe an hours work and dissapear for a couple of months again. The sec will ring them again...and the same happens again.

From people's responses I think that maybe a formal letter would be a better approach rather than telephoning them. That way, its in writing and therefore there's evidence of their non-cultivation. I also think that the phone call is kind of like being told off by the teacher!...so they'll apologise and come and do a little work and then bugger off again - when really, the interest or commitment just isn't there.

I don't really think that a full plot can be a part-time hobby, to me, its something you really need to be committed to - its not something you can come and have a go at once every 3 months or so.

Again, thanks for the help - I think I may need to diplomatically suggest to the sec that we could possibly send them formal letters?

cheers guys
sheddie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 13:19:15 »
Our approach is a phone call, followed by a friendly letter, followed by a formal 'notice of concern'.

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 13:49:40 »

As the last allotment (downwind) in the line, I had a lot of trouble with windblown weed seeds from 'derilict' allotments upwind.   Finally after years of grousing to "Those in Authority".  We have new and enthusiastic allotment holders, and quite weed free allotments.        Just keep plugging away.    ::)     Cheers,     Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal