Author Topic: In a slight change to my 'can I lay turf now' question...  (Read 1213 times)

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
In a slight change to my 'can I lay turf now' question...
« on: January 18, 2012, 13:28:37 »
To recap, I have a very very shady area in my garden right down in the corner, about 3m x 3m which I want to be lawn I was going to turf but as it's so shady I think it might just die.

Can anyone give me advice on either; what to put down to best prep the soil and give the turf a fighting chance in such a shady spot or would I be better off seeding with a shade tolerant variety?

I'm not concerned about the cost implications as it's only 3m square. I want it to be a secret hideaway bit fo the garden for my children so need pretty instant results (I know they'll need to keep off the turf for a bit, but not as long as if it were seeded).

Also, any idea for climbers in that spot (shaded) along a fence so it's pretty there for them (they're girls!)

Cheers!!!  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: In a slight change to my 'can I lay turf now' question...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 14:29:51 »
Hmm..'normal' turf is no no...as while it looks good when its new, give it a year and its all starting to go down hill again. Depending amount of shade the area gets..shade tolerant lawn is a option but even that has its limitations.
You can buy turf or seeds for shady situation so either one is a option.
As for climber..how about climbing hydrengia...its cream-white flowers last quite long time and lighten up shady area.
It don't need lot of maintenance for first few years and even after that just chopping off some outwards growing 'bits'.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 17:10:54 »
for shady areas you could always use
http://www.thegreengreengrass.com/index.html#
You couldn't make it up!

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 18:57:08 »
Thanks Tony! I wouldn't normally consider fake grass for environmental reasons but it's such a small area it could be the answer. Their website looks fab! I've just sent off for some samples! Great tip, thank you very much!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal