Author Topic: Costa Concordia  (Read 3525 times)

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
Costa Concordia
« on: January 17, 2012, 00:16:23 »
has the capsizing of the cruise ship  costa concordia put you off that dream
cruise you had planned.

plainleaf

• Hectare
Re: Costa Concordia
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 05:23:04 »
i was put off going on boats when i was younger  after seeing a  documentary of the trials and tribulation of 5 passengers and 2 crew members of a boat called SS Minnow in Typhoon in 1960's. lucky no one was hurt.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 07:03:59 »
It was never a dream for me. Having seen pictures of the inside and outside the ship a week on that looks like purgatory. Sympathise to the friends and family of bereaved of course but I would rather have a week on the allotment than on that monstrosity.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:11:04 »
I agree with Pumpkinlover.  Cruising isn't our idea of a fun holiday at all - it's all too cossetted for us.

But plenty of people love 5* hotels and being waited on for a week or two.  Loads of our family and friends do, and would rather not have a holiday at all than conpromise.  I guess that if I was in that category, I wouldn't be put off, any more than I'd refuse to fly following an airliner disaster.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 07:26:37 »
Another one not attracted by cruises, although I do love messing about on boats! I can't say I'm averse to a few days in a 5* hotel though, but then you are able to leave it at will, unlike on a cruise ship. Not that I'm a frequent visitor to such places!

My heart goes out to those poor people on the cruise ship and their sadly bereaved families. We forget sometimes how big a responsibility sits on the shoulders of the captain of such vessels.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 07:27:58 »
Tony booked a short cruise for us a few years ago and all I could think of was Titanic. Needless to say he had to cancel it.
We had a sea fishing boat for years and I loved it but I couldn't stand the thought of sleeping on the sea.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 07:29:21 »
Just heard that there could be an environmental disaster if all the thousands of tons of oil leaks out.......

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 07:31:43 »
I can't bear the water, so it would never have been an option for me.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 08:46:59 »
I've done some short weekend cruises in past many times but now as I get older they don't seem to appeal to me anymore.
And everytime I have some bad dreams...they usually involve me being in sinking cruise liner and scenes like from Titanic film.
So I take that as a warning and keep away from deep waters.. ::)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 09:03:10 »
I have no desire to go on a cruise.  Coming from seafaring stock and being a Portsmouth boy the sea has a deep appeal for me.  However 20 years ago I lost a few good friends who went down on a trawler out of Portsmouth and my love of the sea has been forever tempered by the loss.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 09:31:10 »
I've never yet been tempted by cruises for hols but I can see they might appeal as I get older and driving and flying become more tiring or in order to see places that are hard of access.  We also do ballroom dancing so, as long as there's a dance floor, we could enjoy evening sailings to the next destination and not worry about food poisoning.  I always seemed to get a dose of that for 2 days whenever we went to Greece or Turkey...... Don't want it when I'm older.   Wouldn't mind a cruise to the Norwegian fjords or the Baltic.

If we do it, I will be very picky about the cruise company and their captains.  Not Greek or Italian given their track record.  It seems this captain came a cropper because he wanted to sail closer to that island to wave to a cruise captain friend who'd recently retired there.   From Carrera to Livigno the Tuscan coast is a major beach holiday destination and then a major wildlife reserve on land and sea so his bravado could turn out very expensive and damaging to the environment as well as to the people lost or injured or traumatised by his recklessness, not to mention their wider families.
Obxx - Vendée France

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 13:25:32 »
i would love to travel the world...but...i hate boats and planes, so i will have to stay in preston..shame..buts thats how it is.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 13:32:47 »
Trains?  Cars?  Coaches?   There is a tunnel now so not even a need for a ferry across the Channel and tehre's a lot of land to explore before you need a boat or plane again.
Obxx - Vendée France

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 13:41:01 »
So much of the UK still to see.   :D ;D ;)

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 14:28:27 »
I now have to work on Mrs Ace as we were going to book a xmas cruise. 'You can go on your own' was her reaction to this sad event.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 15:00:32 »
Went on a mini THREE day cruse to Denmark  took us 6DAYS,the mad captain took us out in a nine force Gail we never got of the ship in Denmark,he decided to take us straght  back as we were running a Tad late ! it was like the Poseidon adventure, thing flying all over the place we lost all the life boats it was a nighmare ,we don't ever want to go on a boat again ??? the captain was sacked for incompetence .Never  again :)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 15:56:51 »
Jim - use the tunnel it's great, you don't even see the sea & I was so busy chatting that I didn't realise we were in it till nearly half way through, it was just another tunnel, and continental trains are super

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 16:27:02 »
I've been on two med cruises, France, Italy, Spain etc
Never thought I would go on one, but once you've been, you'll be bitten by the bug
We may be going on Greek Island one in Oct with Island Ecscape
All inclusive drink and the food is out of this world
I just spoke to the OH and her Mother's booked it today.
 :D :D :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2012, 17:42:20 »
Been on two and planning another. It`s a great way to travel and see lots of places.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2012, 17:59:22 »
A cruise isn't my idea of a dream holiday so would never choose to go on one. I am a very unsociable person so I feel a cruise is not for me. I suffer with sea sickness just by looking at water so no not for me.

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal