Author Topic: What chillies are cooking in you propagator?  (Read 12710 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: What chillies are cooking in you propagator?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 21:31:01 »
I have sown

Pretty in Purple
Cayenne
Hot Stuff
Goat Horn
Jalapeno
Filius Blue
Inca Berry
Variagata
Big Jim
Satans Kiss

Have coming Scorpian and Ghost which I thought would be here long ago. Scorpion requested by my son is  currently the hottest in the world.. daft kid!!

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 21:56:16 »
Code: [Select]
we don't like them too hot. So if anyone can suggest any alternatives I don't really know much about mild(ish) chillies to recommend any..its only last couple of years that I've become to appriciate them as more of flavouring thing than giving any heat. While a go I bought dried whole cascabel chillies and I chopped them up and soaked to make chilli paste with few other mexican chillies. Once the hot water 'hit' the cascabels the aroma was wooooonderful..so now I just have to grow some of my own.. ;D
Trinidad parfum is mild..I tasted one and it has bit like habanero flavour but not the heat. That is next one I want to try dried and made it into powder.
Usually I only grow 1 plant per variety as its only me who really eats them...OH can't take much heat...of any kind.. ;D ;D And any spare plants/seedlings I give away.
Some years ago I got from HSL pepper called Macedonian Sweet..apparantely 1/10 plants of those become with more heat, not much but between mild-medium. But as I prefer mine with heat and always saved seeds from the ones with heat I would say that I get now 1/10 plants without heat. They are small pointy peppers and I'm going to sow those again..soon..to try how they work as dried powder..yum. Has anybody else grown them?

Cascabel is a big vigorous productive plant with good flavour but has the toughest skins I've ever seen - definitely better pulverised and dried - though I did think of flaming the skins off but never got around to it.

If you'd like Trinidad Perfume with a bit more heat I can recommend Tobago Seasoning because it is much earlier and more productive (and more productive than Numex Suave too) - it makes a terrific sweet chilli sauce for those of us who like flavour and prefer it to pain...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 07:45:19 »
I have 42  different named seeds, although checking on the internet, it appears some of these could be different names for the same varieties. I'm not sure if I'll find space for all of them, but I'll do the best I can.  Grr..I find it so fustrating when they do that..giving 'new' names... >:( But you sound as bonkers as me... ;D..I'm in the middle of chilli forest and wondering what to do with the plants  ;D Oh well...once the weather warm up and is time to squeeze them in their growing spaces, it will all sort itself out.  ;)

Scorpion requested by my son is  currently the hottest in the world.. daft kid!!  ;D..what's gardening without some curiosities and fun? He might not request you to grow it again once reality hits the plate... ;D ;D
Pain from super hots is incredible, but once the pain eases..it feels good.. ::) Don't ask me why, but it is so.. ::)
Cascabel is a big vigorous productive plant with good flavour but has the toughest skins I've ever seen Yes..it seem to be so..my 'little' plants are growing much faster rate than other chillies that I have.
As for tough skin..OH YES.. ::)..making paste out of them is hard work so plan is for the future crop (hopefully) to grind into powder. Saves lot of elbow grease and time for not having to mess about with roasting, soaking, chopping, grinding.. ::) ...but the taste is GOOD..
If you'd like Trinidad Perfume with a bit more heat I can recommend Tobago Seasoning oh..thanks for that..I'm just scribbling it down to my 'to get' list..something for next year.. ;D When I tasted  Trinidads last year, I had them straight from the plant..just like little berries..I couldn't detect any heat what so ever from them. I don't know if its my mouth or that they are so mild, but plant is over wintered well and I'm growing it again for 'another round'. If nothing else, those chillies will look nice and colourful in my chilli Jam that I'm finally going to make this year.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:47:53 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 08:08:11 »
What I did sow and what's growing now don't match for a few varieties failing to germinate..but this is my final list of what is growing on...
Variegata
Numex Suave Red & Orange
Chinese Pot
Lemon drop
Holy Mole
Jalastar
Trepadeira Werner
Macedonian Sweet
Napia
Cascabel
Aji Fantasy
Naga Morich
Early Jalapeno
"really big Habanero"..?..don't know what they are but the fruit that I had from shop was BIG..so I just had to save some seed and see what comes out of it.
Red Habanero
And..I've got 5 mystery chillies that came out of 'free chilli mix packet'..no variety names just a load of 'sweep ups'. I'm really looking forward to see what those plants will yield.
AND..Peppadew, Napia, Bangladeshi "purple & small" and Trinidad Perfume have come through winter OK and some have first few flower buds on already!

..and then there is peppers... ::) ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 08:29:56 by goodlife »

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 15:27:55 »
I was just going to sow a couple of local varieties this year with so much left over from last year but a couple of friends turned up this week. One with a dried Mexican chilli, must be about 8 inches long, dark red and quite fiery if the dried seeds are anything to go by, and then another back from Peru with a matchbox of seeds that don't appear so potent but no idea about size, colour etc.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 15:35:33 »
You've got some good friends there..not is more exciting than get some seedy pressies from travels.
One Mexican chilli that is about that size is Guajillo...but there is lot of similar varieties about.
Nice one..get them growing and save plenty of seeds... ;) (HINT, HINT!) ;D

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 17:47:38 »
Yep, looks a lot like a Guajillo but much longer than the ones I've seen on the net - time will tell I guess.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 17:54:13 »
Have a look at this site..you might find them here.. http://www.exotic-seeds-lapalma.com/cgi-bin/shop_en/shop.cgi

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 09:13:57 »
I'm not sure, I bought a mixed pack of seeds this year due to a change of circumstances,
knowing my luck they will all be the same!

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
  • Half allotment 1 mile from the sea, North Suffolk.
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 00:50:10 »
Earlier this year I got a range of chillies from Nicky's Seeds. The website gives good information about varieties. I have around 49 growing - far too many for me but I will pass some on.
I have grown Habaneros and Naga's before but the Naga is too hot to use. A single naga was enough to heat a large pot of chili con carne. I have some dried if I need any. But the thing is, I love the fruity taste of chillies, especially the lime taste of habaneros but if the chilli is too hot I don't get to taste the chilli, I just get the heat.
Thus this year I mainly went for milder varieties so I could put more chilli into my dishes. I'm trying the orange and red Suaves, they are meant to have the habanero taste. They are really slow growing though. I also have pasillas, anchos, hot lemons, monkey faces, hungarian wax (one of my favourites from the past) fresno, numex big Jim, I may have forgotten one or two.  There are flower buds on many of them at the moment. When I discover which ones I like best I will concentrate on a reduced range.......Who am I kidding? I'll still be curious about new types. :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 12:51:42 »
Propagator is on again.. ;D I decided to sow some more chillies, not to fruit this year but hopefully they will grow nice and sturdy plants this year, over wintered and early crops next year.. ;D
AND..I couldn't help it but I did a 'spot of shopping' for some more chilli seeds too.. ;D ;D
I've got some full size but still unripe chillies in GH. I suspect it will be few weeks yet before I get first tasters..as soon as they are starting to change colour I'm going to do some cheese and anchovy filled, grilled chillies and eat them whole like that with some crusty bread and drop of something white and crispy to flush it all down...mmm..all we need is nice weather to enjoy the first chilli meal 'al fresco'.. ;D
Life is gone chilli mad..

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2012, 22:47:20 »
My first chilli is almost ready for picking. It's a Fresno and is not advertised as an early variety. I have early Jalapeno but it has not fruited yet. I need all my self control not to pick it and let it get bigger.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2012, 22:56:25 »
I had my first Aji Fantasy chillies yesterday..YUM..not quite ripe yet but as there is loads on the 'bush' I thought ..why not.. ;)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2012, 18:43:00 »
[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]

This is the plant grown from seed I saved from the chilli given to me by my Pakistani neighbour.  I can't believe how quickly all these chillies have appeared! My husband is eating them green, and he thinks they are 'just right'.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2012, 19:06:48 »

My Black Pearl's - nice looking plant but haven't tasted a chili yet..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2012, 19:12:10 »

My Black Pearl's - nice looking plant but haven't tasted a chili yet..

That's beautiful Nick, have you grown it before?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2012, 19:24:14 »
No - first year but they may be a keeper if they taste good.  They are easy to grow, seem to have a good yeild and they look great. The fruit is really black too so I am hoping the taste completes the picture..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Toshofthe Wuffingas

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 23:15:20 »
I've been picking chillies for some time now and Fresno and Hungarian Hot Wax were the earliest. They are both pretty mild though they may heat up when they change colour - if I let them get that far! But the revelation was Bulgarian Carrot. It is pretty hot though not in the Habanero level but it has the most exquisite aroma and taste. That is exactly what I want in a chilli and I will definitely grow more next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal