Author Topic: Black polythene to warm the soil?  (Read 1771 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Black polythene to warm the soil?
« on: January 11, 2012, 19:50:17 »
I came across a large sheet of thick black polythene - about 2m x 5m and thought it would be good to warm the soil before planting. Is this a good idea, and what crop would benefit from it? I'm not about to start planting just yet, but thought I would plan ahead,

Two Choices

• Acre
Re: Black polythene to warm the soil?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 20:26:04 »
Definitely a good idea but I would wait until the frost has had a chance to break down the soil and kill off a few bugs (the unwanted ones!) then get it down before the weeds make a start and it will help in two ways.

The plants that are planted early in the season will obviously benefit most and if we have a wet spell it will keep the ground drier (assuming it is polythene sheet and not groundcover material that lets the water through.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 08:41:35 »
I use black polythene to warm the soil from the beginning of Feb for about 3 weeks prior to planting early potatoes. Works a treat, I then put fleece on for another 6+ weeks and earth up until the frosts finish.....works for me here in Derbyshire! ;D I also tried planting squash through  a large sheet last year and it was a disaster, so won't be doing that again! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 19:36:04 »
Like Deb, I immediately thought of potatoes but take care that the slugs don't take up residence under it for the winter. I planted pumpkins through it last year with great success. As it isn't porous it will keep moisture in but also prevent rain getting through so I would suggest you keep an eye on soil moisture levels.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal