Author Topic: What a miserable bunch  (Read 6658 times)

boptrotme4u

• Not So New ...
What a miserable bunch
« on: January 11, 2012, 18:44:38 »
An old boy like me asking for some comfrey roots because retailers are flogging them for £1 per inch of root and not a single person is prepared to help

Very dissapointed

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: What a miserable bunch
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 18:49:11 »
I have just moved to a new allotment and I left all of my comfrey behind other wise I would have gladly sent you some
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 18:58:39 »
You registered here to source a freebie and now you are disappointed and calling us miserable because it hasn't worked?  My heart bleeds.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 19:06:02 »
Um, you were offered some by "flowerlady" on 16th December within 45 minutes of your original request. Did that not work out?

I think it's very very kind of someone to make such an offer within such a short time, to a complete stranger...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 19:08:39 by OllieC »

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 19:07:13 »
I didn't see the original post where you asked for comfrey, but I see that Flowerlady has offered you some.  Maybe you didn't see her offer?

I have plenty of the ordinary comfrey, it grows like a weed on my plot.  You are welcome to have some if that's the kind you want.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 19:11:07 »
An old boy like me asking for some comfrey roots because retailers are flogging them for £1 per inch of root and not a single person is prepared to help

Very dissapointed
Not sure what the problem is here. You had an offer within an hour of your original post?

Some people are put off when someone's first post on the forum is asking for something and others - like me for example - don't have any comfrey so can't oblige.

You posted on 16th December so many people were probably more intent on preparations for Xmas than checking every post on the forum.

People on this forum are very generous in sharing what they've got but nobody likes a put-down!

boptrotme4u

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 19:16:48 »
Flowerlady couldn't help. Plus comfrey grows like a weed and I was prepared to swap and pay postage and still nobody helped

I just think its a shame that community spirit does not seem to be prevalent any more

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 19:19:22 »
No one owes you anything boptrotme4u.  You're just a stranger on the internet who has come here looking for freebies and when you didn't get what you wanted, you're throwing your toys out of the pram.

As others have said, the folks here are the kindest most generous bunch you could hope to meet.  We are a community and we look after each other - you become part of a community by joining in and helping, not by holding out the begging bowl.  Maybe you should ask yourself why you didn't get what you wanted.

boptrotme4u

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 19:27:02 »
No one owes you anything boptrotme4u.  You're just a stranger on the internet who has come here looking for freebies and when you didn't get what you wanted, you're throwing your toys out of the pram.

As others have said, the folks here are the kindest most generous bunch you could hope to meet.  We are a community and we look after each other - you become part of a community by joining in and helping, not by holding out the begging bowl.  Maybe you should ask yourself why you didn't get what you wanted.

This is the swap shop section of the forum, sad to see that you would consider this as "begging".
This comment is in poor taste and most disrespectful to the members. As I have previously stated I was happy to swap seeds and pay postage. I have fought for my country and have never begged for anything.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 19:34:53 »
There is plenty of community spirit on this forum which extends outside of the virtual and into the real world on occaision.  You, however seem to lack that spirit, or at least the ability to engender it in others.  You certainly do not become part of any community to which I belong, by calling me and others here "a miserable bunch". 

Retract that insult and apologise and I will personally go out tomorrow, buy you some and mail it to you.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 19:36:36 »

This is the swap shop section of the forum, sad to see that you would consider this as "begging".
This comment is in poor taste and most disrespectful to the members. As I have previously stated I was happy to swap seeds and pay postage. I have fought for my country and have never begged for anything.
                I think you are going down the wrong road  boptrotme4u with your attitude towards long standing members, I would start again mate this is a good gardening forum and its just me who is the miserable sod,  ;D,on here,  we also have folk on here who have fought for this  country including distinguished WW2  fighter pilots so don't go down that road please, :)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 19:44:01 »
As somebody who has been here for even less time than you, I've got to say it seems a friendly, stimulating allotment site - probably the best such forum I've found.
I read you B14 comfrey post and would have helped except I have no idea what strain of comfrey I have. I assume its not B14 as I understand that doesn't set seed so well, but it is the strain everybody on my allotment site has.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 19:48:23 »
I am confused - people on here are normally anything but miserable.

I am not clear how much faster you expected a response.   At certain times threads do not get as much attention, if you do not get a response it is worth politely trying again.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 19:53:33 »
I can only say as I find... This forum is helpful in the extreme even to newbys , in my experience with other 'hobby' forums your lucky to get a reply yet alone actual help / freebys , Bad start boptrotme4u .

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 20:02:51 »
Yes, sadly a bad start but to get back to your original request, it is the wrong time of year.  Best to ask in a few months time when folks are digging and clearing, you will find people chucking plants away.  And B14 is vigorous but it will still take a few seasons before you get a bed of large plants, even if you manage to get a lot of root material.

But the postage will be a killer - 2kg of plant material plus packing will cost £4.41 to send and that will only make maybe 6 small plants.  Ask on your allotment site, that's how I got mine.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 20:08:14 »
You can buy 15 cuttings for £8.50 inc. postage on ebay or one well-rooted plant for splitting yourself into as many as you need for £4.50.

See, we are helpful!   ;D

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 20:34:28 »
As to the comments about us strange people on the forum.... hummmmmm - not this forum.. I along with many many other newbies have had so much help and support. A big thank you to everyone who has answered my questions etc. I am really looking forward to my first season as a lottie owner. I hope I have been able to answer some queries as well.

Now about the Comfrey you were looking for Bopt....   Have you tried asking around on your plot site.. Most sites in our area have loads growing around edges and people will give it away. I got some thru this forum and some from a neighbouring site in town here.  Give them a try..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 20:50:33 »
I didn't see your post originally, [probably too busy doing stuff at home] and if I did - I'd have assumed that your first offer would have been enough.

I do have Bocking 14 - loads of it at the plot and loads at work - but I think you are downright rude to lambast the good people of the forum...war or no war. I'd also have happily sent you some for an SAE if you'd just tagged a further request on the bottom of your post and I'd seen it.

*walks off muttering about people who moan about so called community spirit without showing any themselves

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 21:15:35 »
There is nothing on the site to say were obligated to get involved in swaps? So you got an offer which was not suitable did you post again to ask for something more specific? If no one replied there is no need to brand us all as miserable? Personally i think you should apologies and retract your comments.

I dont believe that your acting in the sprit of this site!

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 21:43:38 »
Boptrotme4u,

You couldn't be more further from the truth if you tried...

As a newbie, here's a comment I made earlier this month about this forum and it's members.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,70666.msg720607.html#msg720607

Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal