Author Topic: Making my garden easier to work  (Read 5898 times)

genlistlass

• Half Acre
Making my garden easier to work
« on: August 27, 2011, 06:47:08 »
As my aches and pains increase I must renovate my garden.

I have an ugly  greenhouse which I use as a  dump for miscellaneous stuff. I have a ground level veggie patch raised only 6 inches.

So I plan to get rid of greenhouse and get a small shed instead for "stuff" 

Would also like raised, waist high, beds for my rhubarb and gooseberrys but they seem expensive and difficult to make. Can grow small amount of veggies and salads in hanging grow bags next year.

Any other ideas?

Gen in Northumberland UK
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

claybasket

• Hectare
Re: Making my garden easier to work
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 17:25:16 »
Hi been going though the assisted gardening ,I feel a bit guilty as i never read it,i don't know if its because Aim disabled myself not in a wheelchair but have arthritis pain anyway enough of me!I thought big pots might help and secondhand sleepers if you could afford them?they make good raised beds and no maintenance,just some strong men!grow bags on waist high tables/greenhouse staging ,do hope you find some answers to your prob .

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 17:54:59 »
What about a couple of pallets cut in half and lined with poly to help retain moisture.  You could maike them about waist height.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 22:02:35 »
Thats a good idea LOTTIE !

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 23:04:54 »
What about hessian bags that are sold as charity bags. They make great growing bags and they come in all sizes, When I am really old (next ten years) and I down size to a smaller garden I will use these bags, they have handles and can be moved with the sun. I reckon you could grow enough onions in one bag to keep you going for some time. Carrots would be great and all manner of veg. Potatoes would be OK but brassica not so good as they need too much space. You could grow enough veg in a back yard to keep you going for some time. Strawberries, Blueberries, gooseberries you could really use your imagination.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

genlistlass

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 21:06:16 »
I cannot believe it's 3 years since I first wrote this post. I do like the idea of the hessian shoppers, with handles to move them around. Will they rot  underneath or should I raise them on something?

Since then, the NE wind got into the greenhouse and blew a few panes out. That had to go so I posted it on Freecycle and by magic away it went when I was not even there, I just left the side-gate open for the elves! I was left with a rectangle of small gravel over a weed membrane. Great place to put the garden chairs under the apple tree.

Decided the raised (slightly) veggie patch didn't get enough sun, so am gradually putting herbs in there along with the resident rhubarb and a gooseberry bush. They are happy so I left them there.

I have extended my paving around the side of the house and now have a large area which is a bit of a sun trap for half the day. On the garden centre sale table were two 6 pocket wall planters.

Now where to put them? On the south facing wall or the west facing wall? I want to grow fancy veggie type stuff. Need recommendations for a flavoursome small vine tomato and some other things ???  No lettuce or anything else with no taste!

Any ideas?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 21:14:03 by genlistlass »
No allotment but medium sized garden with greenhouse, small-ish raised veggie plot and little shed.....my little kingdom:-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal