Author Topic: The power of the wind  (Read 1224 times)

muddymeldrew

• Not So New ...
The power of the wind
« on: January 09, 2012, 14:21:05 »
Not sure if this is the right page for this post but I thought it might engender any tips for newbies with greenhouses.

I obtained a free 6x4 greenhouse last year. Because it can only have been a cheap one in the first place there's no way of bolting the base down or anywhere to drill bolt holes to fix it to the paving I put down. I therefore staked it down a bit like storm lashing a tent because it's in a pretty exposed position. This morning I went over to the allotment to find that in the storm force westerlies we had last week here in Sussex the whole thing had been shunted two inches eastward, despite the stakes and weight of it (it's glass, not poly carbon). Thank goodness I at least staked it. I'm now thinking of filling the base area with shingle.

Did any of you suffer much damage?

Buster54

• Acre
Re: The power of the wind
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 16:28:00 »
My greenhouse is 6x6 I also don't have any way of bolting it down so I staked it inside on the base frame and had one of those ratchet straps lashed over the top anchored to a stake either side,it never moved but the wind blew the door off and 16 Twinwall Polycarbonate Sheets went walkabout snapping one in half so that's a job for later this week.Might even make a cover for it and take the Polycarbonate Sheets out altogether
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 17:04:18 »
Mine shifted a few inches last winter, so I placed bome bricks in stratigic places to stop it happening again, which may have been a mistake, have a look at the end of this previous thread

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,70651.msg720416.html#msg720416
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

muddymeldrew

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 17:50:15 »
Bloody hell Chrispy, did I get off light or what?! I might try angle iron at the corners as well as staking if feasible.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal