Author Topic: Starting broad beans  (Read 9338 times)

ballpointbob

• Not So New ...
Re: Starting broad beans
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 08:11:37 »
This may sound like a silly question but here goes: Last October I sowed some Aquadulce broad beans which are now about 6" tall. My question is - How tall are they going to get, as I may need to raise the netting around them?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 08:34:12 »
They're not specially tall. I would say normally between 2 and 3 feet.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 08:42:40 »
They can be over a metre ( a yard in old money) high.  May be a little more if they like your soil etc.  Though it is usual to pick out the growing tip (tasty lightly steamed or stir fried) to deter the black fly. 

Masterpiece Green Longpod for me are normally substantially taller.  

ballpointbob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 15:55:10 »
Thanks very much both.

davejg

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 18:21:33 »
mine are going in plastic cus tomorrow night, would have bean today but i'm going to try that booster enzyme this year.

willsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 19:21:22 »
Russell what kind of bean sprouter do you have? I just sprout mine in a tray on kitchen paper remembering to keep paper damp not wet and covered with anyother piece of paper on top. Then when they have sprouted I plant them out. do the same with my peas.Does anyone else do this?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 19:25:30 »
I've never bothered with broadies, but then I usually put them in pots in February, and they have loads of time before they decide to get their heads up. I soak big runner beans, as I find it significantly improves germination. I leave them in water overnight, and that's enough to get them started.

compothefirst

• Not So New ...
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 19:51:09 »
I sowed mine today - straight into the ground.  They're tough old things, but I have netted them and used organic slug pellets.  Did the same thing last year and had a good crop.

Russell

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 22:06:56 »
Willsy my bean sprouter I stole off my daughter so I don't know what it is called but it comprises three shallow clear plastic perforated trays and a base. I stand it on the kitchen window sill when in use so I can easily keep an eye on it, sometimes things happen quite quickly like if the sun shines.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 22:19:57 »
Willsy I am with you with the kitchen roll.  I put a few drops of aloe vera in the water to prevent mould.   I put some straight into compost also on the windowsill, but germination very poor in comparision. 

sticks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 09:13:46 »
I sowed my Broad Beans a couple of weeks ago in newspaper pots and have had them in my (cold) porch. They've all germinated and the majority are 4-6" tall with 4+ leaves on them.

I was planning on planting them out on the plot this weekend under bottle cloches but with the cold snap forecast for next week would I be better off waiting a while or will they be OK?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 09:46:33 »
I would wait and see what weather will throw at us this weekend. Even if they've been in cold porch, freezing weather and blanket of snow might be a bit of shock for the system.
Have you got a coldframe...or could you russle up something temporarely for them?..it don't have to be anything fancy..just a storage box and sheet of glass over would do nicely. Keep them in that for couple of weeks or so and then plant them. They will harden off bit more and being in that bit of more colder place..growth will slow down and you might not be in no hurry to put them into ground if the weather should turn properly wintery.

sticks

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 09:49:16 »
My next door neighbour has an unheated greenhouse with plenty of room to spare and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to keep them in there for a few weeks for me.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 20:40:54 »
Mine were sown in November and are nice and sturdy. They've been outside day and night for quite a while but I still whipped them into the poly this evening because of the sleet.Hopefully they'll go out under enviromesh when its comfortable for me to get them sorted...and the sun is out ;D.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal