Author Topic: Paddington  (Read 3926 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Paddington
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:01:59 »
I have recently noticed a strange habit that Paddington (one of my cats) has, he has started to lick anything concrete ie. the paving slabs when he goes out & also a door stop which I keep by the front door, does anyone have any ideas on this please? Could it be a form of stress resulting from the Dyson episode (see other thread) or something he thinks he needs in his (unchanged) diet? Jemima the other one doesn't do this at all.

Hector

• Hectare
Re: Paddington
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:40:00 »
Funnily enough I read a post on a cat forum about this. Apparently can be a number of causes but they all recommend blood test as can be anaemia/other stuff. Not trying to cause worry.
Jackie

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 12:58:48 »
They are both due for their annual jabs soon, so will ask the vet when I go, thanks.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 13:03:19 »
:) One of mine just likes "tasting" things. So sure it will be fine. Husbands big toe gets "tasted" frequently :)
Jackie

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 15:59:39 »
Have just been reading pssibly the same article as you did & am now worried that Dyson was a carrier & infected Paddington when they were fighting - he has some nasty scratches on his nose. Will get him to the vet first thing Monday morning.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 11:26:41 »
Took Paddington to the vet this morning, she doesn't think it is anaemia but will run blood tests anyway. His fat tummy is fluid & most likely related to his heart so he has been kept in today for x-rays & scans

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 12:16:16 »
Fingers crossed everything is okay.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 17:45:33 »
Not good news I'm afraid, his heart is greatly enlarged & thickened making it hard to pump the blood through it, & there is quite a bit of fluid sloshing around in his chest which could get into his lungs. However he is now on 2 diruretic tablets a day to try & help that side of things & also another pill to help his heart. He could last days or years.
I am so not looking forward to giving him 3 pills a day, think I had better stock up on plasters!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 17:48:51 »
My Collie keeps eating soil,should get it checked out ???

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 18:17:56 »
Poor thing but at least you know what the problem is now.

How are you going to give him the tablets?  I don't know much about cats but my dogs will take tablets if I hide them in soft cheese like Philadelphia, or in bits of chicken.  I have a feeling that it isn't so easy with cats.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 12:24:03 »
One of my cats had to have medication every day for a year to heal a skin condition.  Being a clever cat he knew it was in his food and wasn't having a pill shoved down his throat so I ended up crushing his pills, pouring them into a syringe, adding a bit of water and then, after wrapping him in a towel and having him safely held by OH or daughter, I squirted it down his throat.

Worked a treat and no scratches.  Just make sure you crush the pills really fine on a piece of card that you can then fold to pour it into the syringe.

Good luck.
Obxx - Vendée France

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 16:29:42 »
I hope Paddington is getting lots of TLC, when I had to give Bud a tablet I found that crushing it and hiding it in a spoonful of philly cheese worked, maybe you could try?

This amused me when I first found it,
http://www.nanceestar.com/CatPill.html

Health and Safety Notice...it's a joke..

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 17:30:14 »
I have managed to get todays quota in to him with no bother - hidden in a bite sized piece of pate before his breakfast & tea, I just hope it carries on being this easy as he runs the risk of a heart attack if I have to stress him out to get the pills in to him.
He is getting lots of TLC from me but unfortunately last night Jemima, my other cat, decided that he was a stranger as he didn't smell right & did lots of hissing at him, but it looks as though she is happier with him today.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 17:39:46 »
I am glad you managed to get the tablets down, other cats can be difficult when one of their 'family' cats is ill, I had that problem when one of our three was poorly, they do get over it and sometimes it's just cos they have the smell of the vet on them!

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 13:18:04 »
Check up at the vets this morning, his heart rate is down to 200 from 250, but needs to be lower about 180. However she was very happy with the progress so far as he is a lot brighter in himself & quite chilled out about being there.
The only downside was the bill & another appointment for next Monday.
Does anyone know if this would have been covered by pet insurance? I have never bothered with it, preferring to put the money away myself to pay vets fees.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal