Author Topic: hoop houses  (Read 5242 times)

green lily

• Hectare
Re: hoop houses
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 20:38:15 »
The 4' width gives away that this is an extended[20'] tunnel cloche. I use lengths of timber along sides weighed down with bricks. [ where all the slugs hide ::)
However-- if you are using a raised bed with wooden sides then a top edging frame in say 5ft sections can be made and the hoops attached to the frame and the netting or poly stapled or pinned with lathes.
The frame can be hinged to lift back and tensioned with chains from falling off. Netting can be tailored to fit like a big hat but poly needs to be drawn together with string or similar to close the ends. There are examples on utube but I'm afraid I don't have a link. Most of the examples on utube are from the States.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 22:38:51 »
davy nice hoop house but where I live  that would be crushed by snow during average winter.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 14:35:22 »
davy nice hoop house but where I live  that would be crushed by snow during average winter.

I have finally reached a decision and decides that you either engage your typing fingers before your brain or you are from the ministry of silly statements.

My tunnel and every other tunnel i have built on our allotments do not have one nail or one staple in it they are built so one can simply go along the lats that hold the skin in place with a battery screw driver remove the screws then the lats and roll the skin to the centre and tie it off onto the main centre support. Rather than having to change my soil every year i let the elements flush my trenches through for me.
So regardless of how much snow we get that tunnel will still be standing when its gone.

Going completely off topic could i have your opinion of my shed

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 14:53:50 »
Is it time for a spring clean?

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 14:59:12 »
Davyw1,

Going even further off topic  ;D, on the right hand side of your 'shed' picture I notice a runner bean support of a design I have not seen before.   Usually I notice that the canes cross at the top of the structure whereas yours seem to be crossing 1 - 2 feet off the ground - what is the thinking behind this? 

I like the look of this structure a lot and if they cross lower down for strength I may well be using this on my plot where the wind may be an issue for me and need all the strength I can get into the support.

Thanks
Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 15:02:16 »
davy i seen professionally built green house nonrigid plastic built in hoop design with metal frame go down in 12-16 inches of snow. as said yours would not survive here.

now back to topic

the bed i plan on covering with hoops  is as said is 20ft x 4 ft the hoops will be only 3 ft from soil level  

banksy and davy another thread on bean support might be good idea

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 15:15:05 »
Davyw1,

Going even further off topic  ;D, on the right hand side of your 'shed' picture I notice a runner bean support of a design I have not seen before.   Usually I notice that the canes cross at the top of the structure whereas yours seem to be crossing 1 - 2 feet off the ground - what is the thinking behind this? 

I like the look of this structure a lot and if they cross lower down for strength I may well be using this on my plot where the wind may be an issue for me and need all the strength I can get into the support.

Thanks
For no other reason than the beans hang down the ouside so i dont have to go loking on the inside
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 15:28:54 »
Wicked !!

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 15:53:36 »
Davyw1,

Thanks
For no other reason than the beans hang down the ouside so i dont have to go loking on the inside

;D    You may have just unwittingly changed the look of allotments far and wide! ;) I'll be using this alongside Munty's bean frame in a few weeks.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 16:07:17 »
^^ The Munty Frame - that was the name I was trying to remember !!

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 17:26:03 »
love the shed is that the outty bit and have you a inny bit to lock things away the chap next to me does his bean support that way but cross more in the middle

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal