Author Topic: Itchy Fingers  (Read 7890 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Itchy Fingers
« on: January 06, 2012, 09:20:33 »
Ok I know it's only first week in January, and even though I have dug the plot over and over....my fingers are itching to start sowing stuff!! ;)

I have a million seeds thanks to the seed circle but can anyone suggest what I should be starting off in seed trays for planting out in March/April please  ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Itchy Fingers
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:28:57 »
Onions are about the only thing I would consider in January...  :-X

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:40:57 »
I like to strike the odd chili seed in Jan but not bothering this year as I have some overwintered..
I'm putting my feat up with the gardening cataloges for the next couple of months!!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:43:15 »
chilli's! i can do chilli's thank you for that suggestion, have already got onions out there, maybe I prop some real potato seeds see what comes of them.. ;D cheers guys.

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:55:42 »
i too have itchy fingers thinking about sowing some sweetpea seeds as think they can be sowed now as some could have been started before Xmas at moment this Ive to content my self by going and buying out the pound shop bargains  eg potatoes  i had good results with them last year

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 11:14:17 »
I've just sown four different chillies - Pretty in Purple (love it) Naga Morich, Peter pepper (rude) and seeds from a chilli given to me last year by a Pakistani friend at the allotments.  Also sown my giant onion.

They are all in a heated propagator in the cold greenhouse.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:27 »
I've got first few chillies just coming up.. ;D..and I'm going to sow few more today. I'm determined to get chillies and pepper this year..last lot struggled a bit and crop wasn't anything to 'brag about'.
Now that I've got my cheap 'home made' light system sorted for early growing..I might do few micro tomatoes too.. ;D ;D
Hmm...and maybe some herbs.. :-\...some coriander under lights.. ;D

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 14:20:07 »
goodlife how did you do you light system and pics or plans thanks sue

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 15:13:01 »
Code: [Select]
goodlife how did you do you light system and pics or plans thanks sue
Here is picture..
[attachment=1]

The bottom part is just normal storage container..lined with tin foil and some clear tape. I pinched the wooden bit from my spare blinds.. ;D..the light can be clipped along the wooden bit as it required for the distance from plants.
Light holder was about £3 from Wilko's and grow light £11 from Ebay (that one is blue light for the growth). I bought another holder as and when I need additional light/colour.
From carboard box I made the hood and its lined again with tin foil...I spent whole £1 for it.. ;D
Tape, glue and the boxes I already had.
Its not the most beautiful or practical of the designs..but it will do for now and it didn't break the bank.. ;)
At the moment the hood is resting on top of the storage container..which is fine..but once I have some taller plants..I can then attach the hood on the wooden bit and raise it where needed...but I'm still working on how to best do that...but I think I might put another wooden bit up for another end for the second light and then perharps put wire across from which the hood will be hanging..we'll see what I come up with as and when the time comes..
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 15:16:47 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 15:40:11 »
..and to add to that..
I'm not planning to grow anything in long term in that..just to keep early sowings going onfor a month or so..so that eventually I can get my small plants hardened off and grown in GH in natural light... ;)

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 16:54:47 »
That looks great, goodlife - in the proudest tradition of Blue Peter!  ;D

Speaking as yet another A4A-er with itchy fingers, I'd like to ask, how many watts is your bulb? I see there's a 65 watt one on ebay for £11.49 plus P & P. Is that the one you got?

I do have quite a posh grow light that my OH gave me for Christmas last year, but I found the seedlings got a bit leggy under it. I'd like to have a blue-spectrum bulb (or two?) for the babies and then move them under the other grow light as they mature (to be grown on in a frost-free conservatory and finally outdoors in late May). How many baby plants in modules could I fit underneath one bulb, I wonder?

I've got zillions of different varieties to sow, particularly tender things such as chillies and aubergines, and I'm still trying to work out the logistics of it all.

Spudbash  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 17:29:48 »
That light is 45W and I can fit in the box aboutt 18 3" pots so not so many as plants..but plenty in smaller modules.
I don't think the light would be enough for any larger area. But certainly having lined with tin foil all the sides should help with even light distribution. I propably could fit 72 cell tray in it.
I've been looking some of those ready made grow light kits that you can fit 2 seed trays undernearth and they are around £50-£60..but they are open sided and the lights are advertized being adequate strenght for those systems..mine having about same output with benefit of reflective sides. So in theory it should be enough for seedlings and other little things.
But if I need to spend another £11 for another bulb..its still cheap enough for me... ;D Things one can do with a bit of tin foil, carboard and brown tape.. ;D ;D
OH wanted buy me a proper light shade for my bulb..but I rather made my own..I'm sure it works just as well.. ;D

Spudbash

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 12:21:39 »
Thanks, goodlife. I always appreciate your info. Now all I need to do is convince my OH of the benefits...   ;D

Spudbash  :)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 15:05:31 »
I used this grow kit the as the 'spec' for my version.. ;)
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Greenhouse%20Equipment_Propagation/GRE-518.htm
..so far the few seedlings that I have under my single light are looking ok and not 'stretched' at all.  ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 09:43:40 »
Just said to the wife I might start putting some seeds in trays next week, 'TOO EARLY', to early it is, :)

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 10:54:26 »
we or i should say my ex had a two hood type thing some where must search out the sheds when the liquid sunshine stops, as its given me an idea

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 12:29:27 »
Code: [Select]
as its given me an idea ...I can feel blue peter moment coming on... ;D

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 21:04:14 »
My light system is and upturned stool with a propagator/ seed tray on the upturned seat with a lidl work lamp which has 3 low energy bulbs and can be uses 1,2, or all 3 bulbs balanced on the leg stretchers over the top. Crinkled [ie old] aluminium foil around the sides and hey presto! ;D Didn't cost a penny, all bits on site.... When the onions come out it'll be TPS and some chillies or peppers but I'm still picking them from last years plants..

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 23:18:45 »
I got a small grow tent of e/bay and a light which I boughtof the same 2 years ago costs pennys to run what I have to do is watch the hours I leave it on been reading up on it will get there in the end 8)
m j gravell

lillian

• Acre
  • Suffolk
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 09:10:20 »
Do you leave the lamp on 24 hours a day?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal