Author Topic: has anyone ever made a fruit press?  (Read 4689 times)

alexE

• Quarter Acre
has anyone ever made a fruit press?
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:48 »
I've seen some homemade ones online and have a rough idea how to make one using a bottle jack for the pressing. Just wondered if anyone had made one and could give some advise

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Re: has anyone ever made a fruit press?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 23:27:07 »
I've never actually made one but i have seen some based on a car jack that look simple to build. I'm planning this for next autumn when the crab apples are ripe for the picking. This year i fermented apples on the pulp, scratting with a food processor and it was an absolute nightmare. 40lbs of apples through a food processor - never again.

If you have a rummage around jimsbeerkit.co.uk there's a good design on there with pictures. Some lengths of 2x4, boards and a car jack - you'll be in business.

Found it: http://jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36029

I'd say just knock it up. You get at least half a tonne of pressing power (how heavy is a car?) compared to the paltry amounts you can get on the small commercial presses. I use my commercial one for cheese and soft fruit, no way it would cope with apples.

KMARKSnr

• Quarter Acre
  • I`m not "young enough" to know everything !
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 19:47:09 »
 Placing your fruit in a deep freezer for a few days would surely break it right down once thawed out and juice extraction made much easier ?

Just a thought,
                        Regards.
i`m not "young enough" to know everything !

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:21:17 »
It helps, KMARK, but with apples I've found they're still too hard. Soft fruit practically melts when defrosted but apples just go a wee bit softer, in my experience anyway.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal