Author Topic: Small Polytunnels  (Read 2330 times)

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
Small Polytunnels
« on: January 05, 2012, 14:12:28 »
I would like to get a small polytunnel for the allotment, just for my tomatoes, cucumbers and chilies and the seedlings, has anyone had experience of these and are they any good? :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: Small Polytunnels
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 14:30:02 »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310358202093

^^ my latest purchase, not bad but I have to say that my long term plan is to use the frames and cover them with 720 gauge plastic to make something like a "proper" tunnel.

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 14:46:02 »
Like Ellen K, I have just bought one of the so called Pro range of tunnels from feelgood, with the same view that once the cover goes I'll replace with some 'proper' polytunnel plastic.  I also plan on making the frame as robust as possible when I set it up in the next couple of weeks, i.e. extra bracing and some stout posts to anchor it to.

Those buyitnow prices on eBay seem like a good deal.
Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 17:14:30 »
I'm a bit wary of the very cheap ones, and I know from experience that type of plastic doesn't last long. I plan to build one, hopefully over the summer.

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 09:16:20 »
Yes I have been eyeing them up on ebay and I think that Banksy you are right about the foundations and Ellen K that is a good idea to get proper plastic, was looking at Greenhouses but they are just way too expensive.

Thanks guys and gals for the tips and information always really useful  :)

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:05:31 »
Whichever you choose definitely a good idea to doubly ensure it is secure to the ground, you don't want to have to go out in the middle of a wet and windy night trying to secure it down again  :( or turn up the next day to find that it has destroyed next plot's crop.
I bought one for about £50 and that was half price from Wyevale but even after 6 months the fabric is starting to disintegrate!! Another replacement job to add to the list.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal