Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 12380 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Twitter
« on: January 05, 2012, 12:51:39 »
Seems to be the big craze at the moment. I have an account and use it to catch up with news etc, but dont tweet much. Has taken me a long time to get to grips with it to be honest.

Any other A4All-ers on twitter? Do you use it much? If you tweet do you tweet about gardening or other stuff?

Did a search on twitter for allotments4all and came up with a profile called 'AllotmentsUK' which seemed to have a4all forum postings in its tweet timeline, including a reply to a question i had made and hadnt read yet! Whats this all about?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Twitter
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 13:21:16 »
Thanks for flagging this up.  I certainly wasn't aware of it.  Someone (at Walsall Road Allotments?) appears to be populating their Twitter account with random posts from here.  I don't get what the purpose is.  I could see the point of tweeting an odd  post that was of interest to the tweeter who wanted to discuss it with other tweeters who aren't forum members but there isn't any discusssion going on.  I could also see the point of a tweeter tweeting their own A4A posts but these are the posts of lots of random members.

Have to say I'm not keen.  I guess since Dan put the social networking buttons on last year, he's happy with the idea but I'm not.  It's enough to make me stop posting here.

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 15:42:57 »
Hmmm, yes I just checked this and the latest 'tweet' on there is MY post on the small polytunnels thread.  I am not happy about this as I left Twitter last year, along with many other social network sites, and vowed not to return  >:(

Is there a way of opting out so our forum posts are not available externally?
Friends always welcome on the plot, weeds by appointment only.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 15:52:21 »
Forums are open to anybody the whole world over so do not see the point in being selective about where posts pop up.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 15:55:00 »
Hmmm, yes I just checked this and the latest 'tweet' on there is MY post on the small polytunnels thread.  I am not happy about this as I left Twitter last year, along with many other social network sites, and vowed not to return  >:(

Is there a way of opting out so our forum posts are not available externally?

There isn't at the moment.  If enough people are unhappy about it, we could ask Dan to reconsider.  There was a thread about it at the time that Dan added the buttons, only a limited number of people commented and most of them weren't in favour but it wasn't taken any further.  I admit to being naive about it at the time - I never expected this kind of thing happening.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 15:57:01 »
What is it that upsets you about it ?

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 15:57:24 »
Forums are open to anybody the whole world over so do not see the point in being selective about where posts pop up.

Thats true, but I choose to post here on A4A, not Twitter.

Its Twitter I have the issue with - for reasons I do not have to go into here, not forums per se.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 16:02:27 by banksy »

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 16:33:30 »
Thanks for flagging this up.  I certainly wasn't aware of it.  Someone (at Walsall Road Allotments?) appears to be populating their Twitter account with random posts from here.  I don't get what the purpose is.  I could see the point of tweeting an odd  post that was of interest to the tweeter who wanted to discuss it with other tweeters who aren't forum members but there isn't any discusssion going on.  I could also see the point of a tweeter tweeting their own A4A posts but these are the posts of lots of random members.

Have to say I'm not keen.  I guess since Dan put the social networking buttons on last year, he's happy with the idea but I'm not.  It's enough to make me stop posting here.

Shirl just phoned me and asked me if I'd seen this thread.  I hadn't, because Twitter doesn't really interest me.  Just wanted to let you all know that it's nothing to do with me or with Shirl, we might be twits but we're not on twitter.

I did join it a few months ago but haven't looked at it since.  I doubt if I can even remember my login details but I'll go and have a look.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 16:35:38 »
What is it that upsets you about it ?
I choose to post on A4A. Someone else thinks it's OK to take what I have said and post it in a forum I have not chosen to post in. It's a kind of theft of intellectual property.
It probably isn't in the least sinister but why would anyone knowingly do it without asking first?

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 16:37:09 »
Thanks Betty!  Do you happen to know who it is - PM me if you prefer.

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 16:45:14 »
The picture on the Twitter page might give you a clue?

http://fr.twitter.com/AllotmentsUK

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 16:46:23 »
Thanks Betty!  Do you happen to know who it is - PM me if you prefer.

Well, I'm shocked!  I was still logged in from when I joined so I didn't have a problem finding it.  It is nothing to do with me - I would never do something like that but I have a very good idea who it is.  I've just tried to phone them but no answer.  I will pm you Ceres.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 16:50:21 »
Thanks Betty.  I was just getting a bit concerned in case it was something malign connected to recent events.  Hopefully not and maybe just overenthusiasm / misunderstanding.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 16:50:45 »
Intrigued to see I'm commenting too....  :-\

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 17:13:26 »
Not a user but I have an account for work purposes. 
I'm afraid there is nothing Dan or anyone can technically do about this.  Removing the twitter buttons doesnt stop anyone linking directly to any url here or anywhere else.
Ill delete this but I just linked a tweet to this post - https://twitter.com/barriedalenick just by copying the url in to a tweet.

I expect you could do something drastic if you really wanted to - like block a whole load of IPs from refering you from twitter but it would be messy.
I don't like this either and it actually is a little odd but from a tech point of view I don't see a solution.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

banksy

• Half Acre
  • Southend-on-Sea, Essex
    • my blog
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2012, 17:20:52 »

I'm afraid there is nothing Dan or anyone can technically do about this.  Removing the twitter buttons doesnt stop anyone linking directly to any url here or anywhere else.

It looks like they are just recycling the SMF RSS feed, I suppose that could be disabled, but then we lose a very useful feature for the forum  :(

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2012, 17:22:53 »
Maybe do that temporarily to break their habit. So to speak.
I'm also tempted to retweet on my post there and say I am not on your allotment, so whyam I being posted
Jackie

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2012, 17:30:38 »
I can't see the problem,has it caused any problems?

Curious??

If you google A4A it will come up with many posts.............one thing for sure is it never has been and never will be private.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2012, 17:41:18 »
I can't see the problem,has it caused any problems?

Curious??

If you google A4A it will come up with many posts.............one thing for sure is it never has been and never will be private.

I've got a problem trying to understand why this person is doing it and making it look as though it's something to do with me.  Everyone here knows I'm from Walsall Rd Allotments and WRA is mentioned on the twitter page.

I have found out who is doing it, and I am trying to sort it out.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2012, 17:51:40 »
Betty,I can not understand that this is anything to get stressed about.

So don't stress.

It is not your argument and if people feel so strongly they should contact the tweeter themselves.

Once I got past logging in on there I gave up ,totally mind numbing.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal