Author Topic: Who cleans your toilet?  (Read 6723 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Who cleans your toilet?
« on: January 05, 2012, 05:09:46 »
If you have a kitchen/meeting-room/toilets on site - who cleans them?

At the moment on our site they are cleaned mainly by me (I'm the site secretary).

I suggested at our committee meeting yesterday that a rota would be a good idea, with all 10 members of our committee taking it in turn a week at a time.

This was agreed immediately with no problem at all but when I told my husband afterwards he said that it isn't fair that the committee (or me) should be responsible when the facilities are used by non-committee members too.

I just wondered what happened on other sites......
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Who cleans your toilet?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 06:26:22 »
Our members were very keen to get toilets so we priced them and offered to get them installed. I did point out, however, that the toilets would need to be cleaned at least daily and proposed that this should be done on a rotation of members. (Otherwise the committee ends up doing everything). I wasn't too surprised when even the most vociferous of those asking for toilets decided that if they had to commit to cleaning them (it would only have been 4 or 5 times a year) they actually could manage fine without toilets!!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 08:02:12 »
We have a rota as well...  :-X

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 08:37:59 »
You amaze me,I would gladly clean a loo on The Allotment if it meant we could have one.

Be warned though,as a young woman one of my jobs was to clean a loo used by the public.............some have the most disgusting habits,sad to say particularly the men who seemed to find the floor a good place to urinate on. >:(

Gadget

• Acre
  • Getting dug in, Hertford
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 09:02:16 »
a loo on the allotment would be fab, I have to make do with the shed and a bucket ??? but it is a really clean bucket, the shed's not too bad either, and as for the OH there are plently of trees.. ;D ;D

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 09:44:17 »
No toilet on our site and even if there were, I wouldn't use it as it would no doubt be disgusting.

At best, it would be like using the Gents in a Pub.  Thanks but no thanks.

compostbin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 10:12:07 »
 :( :( :(......o,.....thanks to being disabled,...due to M.S,....can still walk,....but only just got a motorbility scooter,........which makes the (used to be just 5 mins to get to my plot,..but just can't do it anymore,...the scooter makes it easy now),...now,..the question i have,....localised dementia,...koz of the M.S,...makes remembering where i've planted something often hard,...i grow mostly now in raised beds,....but i think i may have planted one up with sproat plants,....then forgot to firm them in,..as they were being grown in multi-purpose compost,...resulting in well blown out plants,....apart from the fact there are no sproats,...would it be safe,...to steam-up the leaves? ???they look great,...so how much of a typical sproat plant is usable ???

picman

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 10:14:16 »
Hi Betty ,
 we got our toilet finished in November and we have to turn off the water during winter, we have not decided yet on cleaning rota, we have actually had some volunteers , as we only have 50 plots I dont think it we get excessive use. do you have notices up re ' Leave it how you found it ? '
Les

compostbin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:17:55 »
forgot to mention,....a urinal in my shed is my only toilting fasility,......it had caused some seriuos problems in the past,....when needing a bit of a number 2,...now the slightest hint,...i can "scooter ".......home real quick ;)

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 14:44:54 »
No toilets on our site. I add it to the compost heap when no one's around. Not so easy for my wife though.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 17:12:27 »
We have a toilet down the far end of the site, provided by the Council, which pays a contractor to clean and empty it. I wonder how long that's likely to last. I wouldn't waste pee anyway.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 18:21:59 »
I'll let you know by summer, we're halfway in funding for a composting toilet  ;D
but i think i may have planted one up with sproat plants,....then forgot to firm them in,..as they were being grown in multi-purpose compost,...resulting in well blown out plants,....apart from the fact there are no sproats,...would it be safe,...to steam-up the leaves? ???they look great,...so how much of a typical sproat plant is usable
forgot to mention,....a urinal in my shed is my only toilting fasility,......it had caused some seriuos problems in the past,....when needing a bit of a number 2,...now the slightest hint,...i can "scooter ".......home real quick ;)
we eat the tops of sprouts, steamed, so, go with it and I'm glad your mobility scooter's making things easier for you.
We have a portapotti, cleaned with water only , that gets emptied onto the compost heap on a regular basis, I can't squat over a bucket any more 'cos of the arthritis  ;D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 18:35:41 »
Why can't everyone just clean the toilet after they've used it?  Issue a general notice to this effect and put a copy in the toilets.

Provide a loo brush, some cleaning fluid and make sure there are always toilet rolls.
Obxx - Vendée France

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 18:37:20 »
One of my pet hates  having spent my working life in a male environment both Mil and Civi a 'Dirty splattered Bog', :o

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 18:55:59 »
we have a portaloo provided by the council,which we pay a contarctor to clean,emoty and refill it. There is no way on this earth I would ever clean it myself,far far and above the call of duty!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 18:40:07 »
Why can't everyone just clean the toilet after they've used it?  Issue a general notice to this effect and put a copy in the toilets.

Provide a loo brush, some cleaning fluid and make sure there are always toilet rolls.

Because there's bound to be some dirty bugger who doesn't do it.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 19:36:07 »
At our allotments we have a compost loo (from the company Nat-Sol).  We have a weekly cleaning rota of committee members - they are asked to check it daily during their 'week' (cleaning and replacing loo rolls if necessary) and then giving a full clean (refilling the straw container, wiping over all surfaces and sweeping out) at the end of their week - we have a cabinet in which we keep vinyl gloves and cleaning materials, and replacement loo rolls.    Its very rare for there to be any problem with the loo being left dirty. 
We also keep a small basic 'first aid kit' here which all plot holders can access, to deal with minor injuries.  Our loo is kept locked and the gate key operates the padlock.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 07:38:33 »
On site loos with contracted cleaners sound a good idea until you realise how much your rent will go up to pay for them. Give me a bucket of my own in the shed any day - and it's brilliant for the compost heap.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 18:32:34 »
The first aid kit sounds like a good idea.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2012, 18:54:31 »
Thanks for all your replies.

I think we are very lucky to have toilets on site, not just one but three!  We haven't had too many problems but when someone mistook the floor of the gents for the toilet the next man to go in cleaned it up.  We don't seem to get this sort of problem in the ladies.

I'm thinking of making a rota with some empty spaces and ask non-committee members to volunteer.  It will be interesting to see if anyone does but I'm not holding my breath.

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal