Author Topic: Chicken Manure For Potatoe's  (Read 2425 times)

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
Chicken Manure For Potatoe's
« on: January 04, 2012, 19:11:10 »
Hi guys

I usually fork in a few wheel barrows of manure into our potato plot a few months before I plant the seed pots.

I was wondering if I could use fresh chicken manure instead?  This has come from our 9 girls and is mixed in with wood shavings.

I wonder if I dug this in the wood shavings would break down enough?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Paul

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Chicken Manure For Potatoe's
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 20:46:22 »
Chicken manure is not problem..it is the shavings..they will take couple of years to dissapear.
I would save them for later on..if you can get hold of some grass clippings..use those to mulch the ground between potato rows and spread the shavings and droppings on top of that. Then over the time all that will naturally work its way into the soil..and the mulchings will keep the soil underneath nicely moist.
I found woodshaving bit too much trouble just because it took that much longer to break down..now I'm using shredded straw in chickens shed and that will break down on soil in no time. Actually I don't even see any bits of straw anymore..as I clean their shed, I shovel all the stuff outside for girls to scratch. The now 'dirty' straw will soak up the extra moisture from the ground and stop the pen going muddy..once I need to empty to pen onto lottie, its all broken down into lovely crumbly brown stuff... ;D
Nothing waisted and my veg is going to love it next spring.

smudger28

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 21:26:55 »
Thanks Goodlife

Sounds like a good way to deal with the manure.

I think I'll leave mine in the compost bin then...  Hopefully it will break down in due course...

Thank you for the advice!

Paul

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 21:34:29 »
If you want to make shavings break down quicker..make sure they are kept moist in the bin..dry shavings, if dry, don't change their appearance for 'donkey's years'.. ::)...layering with soil in the bin with hasten the process too.
Or you can sprinkle thin layers of it amongst the other compostable material...that would be best option..but of course its is extra hassle too... ::)

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 12:16:32 »
Smudger I use Hemcore for my chickens instead of wood shavings. I find it's very absorbent and best of all it rots down far more quickly than shavings or straw in the compost bin. A bit more expensive though.

Great to know I can use chicken poo on my spuds!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 12:56:49 »
I did use hemcore too..but our supplier started to stock up with shredded straw as it was much cheaper than hemcore. Sheredded straw is chopped up into similar size bits as hemcore..but it is much softer and less 'woody' and it does rot down even quicker than hemcore.
Hemcore has citronella oil added to keep all sorts of bugs away..I buy the oil from pharmacy and sprinkle few drop on straw and job done.. ;) ..but I only use it during warm months so one small bottle last me a year and cost couple of pounds.
Last time I bought hemcore it cost me about £8 per bale..shredded straw is £6..save, save, save ..that's me.. ;) (..and buy more seeds... ::) :-X ;D)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal