Author Topic: squirrels  (Read 2234 times)

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
squirrels
« on: January 02, 2012, 18:52:26 »
 we had some very very sweet chocolate squares given us over the Christmas, they were far to sweet to eat, suppose to be little cakes,, they were about 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x about 1 inch thick,,, any way we put them out on the bird feeder, which is big, it's round and about 4 ft across, just out side the kitchen window.
 well within 1/2 hour they had all gone, they were just the right size for the squirrel to fit in his mouth and cart it off,,, all 16 of them....
  it was so funny to watch....... qahtan

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
Re: squirrels
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 19:45:15 »
I saw a red squirrel out in the yard today. Surprising really, as its a grey area.....
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 20:52:25 »
Need to get rid of the greys, British reds ftw.

The bigger danger is the russian black squrrels, there the evil arnold schwarznegger of the squirrel world. There doing to the greys what the greys did to the reds. Reminds one of the chinese doing to the korens what they did to the japanese what they did to us.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:03:56 »
I saw a red squirrel out in the yard today. Surprising really, as its a grey area.....

Some greys look red, the ears give it away.

We only have reds here, plenty of greys in the new forest and the tall lorries coming that way are supposed to be checked before they get on the ferries.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 08:09:45 »
We only have reds here, plenty of greys in the new forest and the tall lorries coming that way are supposed to be checked before they get on the ferries.

How effective is that Ace?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:50:07 »

How effective is that Ace?

There has been a few scares, but we are still free of greys. The reds are not as dare devil as the greys, so getting them to the feeders can be a problem. Our feeder took about 6 months before they would trust it. But it is nice to sit quietly for a cuppa and watch them. They raid the tulip beds, but a few bulbs are not begrudged.

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 09:07:09 »
Wonderful, there was a feeder on the caravan site we stayed on in Cockermouth last year, and they were using it.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:36:32 »
The greys here are gradually turning brown.  In particular they seem to now have red streak down their backs.  

I was amazed a couple of weeks ago that some magpies dismantled their nest.

Perhaps we should do more to get rid of the greys.  The reds are so lovley.

Lovely pic Ace

qahtan

• Hectare
  • Niagara Peninsula, ontario,,, canada.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 19:51:19 »
 We have  grey  ones here and I see a couple of black ones on the  bird feeder, Non so far have touched our flower bulbs in past years but they do seem to enjoy pulling out a few shallots soon after they are planted, then when the shallots take root they are left alone.

qahtan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal