Author Topic: net tunnels v cane built netted structure what would you choose  (Read 2778 times)

brownowl23

• Acre
I got some money for Xmas, and given the fact that the pidgeons have ahd great fun with my brassicas this year, Ive thought about gettting net tunnels or using connectors to build a cane structure.

I dont have time down the plot to be able to build a wooden structure, besides i'd like to be able to move whatever I get/build so I can keep rotation.

Im looking at a soneva £m x 1m x 1m net tunnel, http://www.soneva-shop.com/index.php?categoryid=120&productid=168 or connectors to connect up a cane structure but this would mean covering with something like enviromesh.

What would other people use?

What

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
Re: net tunnels v cane built netted structure what would you choose
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 22:29:14 »
Consider MDPE water pipe (from Screwfix is the cheapest) and debris netting from Amazon.

Both items are pretty durable and you can be flexible about the size of tunnels you want to make.

If you end up buying a roll of each it could cost you £60 but you will get a lot of material to create tunnels.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 07:05:49 »
Remember Joe Swift's allotment on GW. He said that pigeon's won't go under a net.
He used a simple design of canes upright and netting stretched over. I use twist ties to hold the net on and raise it as the plants get bigger. It seems to work fine but I also use the blue pipe as per EllenK's post.
That said when I look at Amazingrotavators and others fantastic homemade cloches and would love something like that so it really is up to you, they all work, just some are more durable and definitely look better!!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 07:58:34 »
In the past we have used Wilies arches converted into frames which have proved to be good, we cover in enviromesh. Did try Ikea net but it has rotted this year(but worth trying)
We now use enviromesh with the blue water pipe.
The reason we dont use green net is because of slight shading although some folks find it ok.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 09:57:44 »
I managed to get hold of Blue plastic water pipe from work along with another roll of Debris netting off e-bay, although I have always cover my Brassicas with a wood frame and netting, but with the plastic pipe and debris netting I now have enough for three or four decent sized net tunnels which I will be able to use every year, :)

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 21:32:01 »
Covering PSB is one thing [don't we all] but I'm now moving the blackcurrants to a frame patch coz the pigeons stripped them last year >:(

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 17:32:57 »
Well thats given me some grat ideas. Not sure that the budget stretches to £60 of blue pipe and netting just yet. But the idea of netting hung on canes to stop the pesky pidgeons I do like.

Decisions decisions........

Thank you all for you advise its lovely to call upon others expertise.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 18:47:46 »
My  local pigeons will walk in under a net if they're hungry enough.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal