Author Topic: Building wooden structures - Whats best 2x2 or 3x3 or 2x3 :)  (Read 5533 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Hi All,

I am going to make some storage and a version of this http://www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk/Greenhouses/Cold-Frames/Gardman-Wooden-Growhouse.htm?source=googlebase&gclid=CL7E88nWr60CFVBlfAod2F51lQ but its going to have another bit on the side with some storage shelves and a potting tray on the top :) Been doodling all day :)

On top of the other wood working jobs i have to do in the garden. But before i put the wood order into travis perkins i though i would just add this to the order (making good use of my christmas money).

Tomorrow i am going out to measure up but i though i would check if it might be worth making this in 3x3 rather than 2x2?

The other job was to make wooden frames over the raised beds (although raised beds not in yet and i cant do them till the greenhouse is in so might have to wait another year for them :() so i have worked out a way to make these so they will still work when the raised beds go in :) There using 2x3 so i am not sure if i just get more of that.... decisions decision :)

Cam

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: Building wooden structures - Whats best 2x2 or 3x3 or 2x3 :)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 10:05:18 »
I think this company got the idea from me ;), I built one three years ago more or less the same and I used 2"x1" for the frame, it is now on the lotty and very useful for bringing on seeds and plants and then later on I use it for drying my onions in, :)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 10:08:12 by Mr Smith »

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 10:09:51 »
Even 2x2 seems like overkill to me.  It'll be immensely strong.  Personally I'd be looking at 32x32mm or even 19x32mm.

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 11:09:53 »
Even 2x2 seems like overkill to me.  It'll be immensely strong.  Personally I'd be looking at 32x32mm or even 19x32mm.

Im a builder/ joiner, and 2x2 seems a tad excessive. 19 x 32 will work just fine, and be cheaper and easier to work with too.!

All the best in building it Cam.

If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 21:57:42 »
thanks guys, is the 2x2 excessive for the frames over the raised beds??

Davidberry

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 11:22:19 »
I was thinking about making one of these too, but I can't figure out how to attach the glass/polycarbonate to the frames.  How were you going to do it?  Do you think you can do it for less than the £78.90 advertised in the link?

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 20:56:13 »
I was going to staple gun plastic sheeting to the inside given my budget :)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 21:51:46 »
To fix your polycarbonate plastic sheeting to the structure you have built,  make a rebate in the frames so the sheeting will sit inside similar to a wooden window frame, you can use some wooden beading for this but in my case I used my Router to put a rebate in the timber before I commenced construction, if you get yourself some cheap clear silicone from Wilkos and run this round the rebate before you put the sheeting in this will keep in it fixed in place, and then put another run of silicone on the outer edge of the sheeting and the frame, similar to glazing a window also you could go to the expense of fixing in place with beading, also rather than use staples to fix polythene sheeting use roofing felt nails, turn the edges of the sheeting a couple or three times for the nails, this will help to stop the sheeting from ripping in the frame,    :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 21:54:06 by Mr Smith »

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 22:43:11 »
my plan is to try and get some from freecycle as i dont need 2 much how easy is polycarbonate to cut??

rugbypost

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 22:50:06 »
I clamp some wood to the angle that i need, and score with a sharp stanley knive. if you have a very fine toothed saw clap some wood  to where you want to cut and you and O/H one holding polycarbonate and other on the saw but dont rush good luck ;)
m j gravell

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 22:55:25 »
thanks :) I have been given some which might be enough for the 2 doors and will use plastic sheeting stapled in till i get all the peices :)

Waiting for a price from Travis Perkins on the wood :) And need to have a sort though my bits and bobs to see if i have all the right bits (hinges etc)

so excited :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal