Author Topic: Nothing any good on TV  (Read 6993 times)

pumkinlover

Re: Nothing any good on TV
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 20:47:37 »
Great Barrier reef is AMAZING!!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:25:05 by pumpkinlover »

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 21:12:56 »
Betula , i agree with you total utter rubbish on tv now i have been watching things i have sky+. love the blue planet even if i have enjoyed them once already.
Who does all the Christmas planning for TV,  i think they should be MADE to watch it all then see how they feel.
 Well back to me crossword book again!!!.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2012, 21:59:40 »
Save the licence fee, get rid of the box and read instead. Much more fun.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2012, 22:09:09 »
Had to resort to watching Only Fools and Horses..................
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 22:10:33 »
Are you allowed to do that when you have a computer with access to TV programmes? ???

small

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 22:16:13 »
Do you mean allowed to get rid of the box, Betula? Yes you are! Google about TV licensing it's all there. Not that I watch iplayer either, myself!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 23:23:52 »
Do you mean allowed to get rid of the box, Betula? Yes you are! Google about TV licensing it's all there. Not that I watch iplayer either, myself!

Problem is more and more people are watching tv up the broadband, which as you say means you dont need a Tv licence, and licence revenue is dropping. Bearing in mind there are now three times more computers than TV's in the country, it wont be long before the governement sees it as a cash cow and starts making you have a computer licence instead or as well as a TV licence. The White paper on this has already been circulater.

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 23:43:55 »
Seeing the programmes this Christmas I am wondering what they are spending my licence fee on.  The best offering was Downton Abbey and that was ITV. 

Have enjoyed a few bits of Morecambe and Wise? 

I have caught up with the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian.  Far too violent for my taste. 

There must be some better old programmes lurking somewhere. 

I have even got tired of Hastings saying 'I say Poirot'

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 23:48:40 »
I'm already halfway through the Crosswords for Gardners book I got for Christmas - for lack of TV programmes which interest me. I watched Downton Abbey and Great Expectations. Yesterday afternoon I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice which I had missed earlier and today the weather was too awful to go for a walk so it was spent reading for the most part.

At least I no longer have to pay for the TV licence!

Tricia

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 23:53:52 »
There wasn't much.  I enjoyed Outnumbered, 2 new Ab Fab episodes, Michael McIntyre's Christmas special at the Apollo and I've just watched Adele in concert at the Albert Hall which was brilliant.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 00:13:09 »
I enjoyed Downton Abbey, recorded and then watched an hour later so I could skip through the adverts.  I sent away for the DVD of Downton Abbey Series 1 which arrived midweek and we have been watching it for the past two days.  Just as well as there has not been much else of interest to see. 

I also watched The King's Speech, Great Expectations and Mansfield Park.   

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 02:08:59 »
My TV is now only used as a games machine and for watching video - either on PS3 or via Apple TV. I cancelled my sky subscription and then my tv licence. We never watch live TV and quite frankly I resent underwriting much of what the BBC is now producing. I also abhor the salaries they can afford to pay many of their managers and so-called celebrities.

I now read the newspapers (mostly online, mostly Guardian and Glasgow Herald) and listen to the radio for news.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 07:54:12 »
We nearly always watch things on playback. watched Downton of course and Great Expectations which we both loved.
 Have been following Strongest Man so that Tone can see what he has to do to enter next year ;D
Last night watched the Great Barrier Reef and  A History of Ancient Britain with Neil Oliver. I just wished that he had been my History teacher because I am sure I would have learned a lot more and enjoyed doing so. he makes it so interesting.
A few days ago we watched Mrs Browns Boys for the first time and were doubled up with laughter.
We only watch telly at most for 3  hrs so we can always find something interesting.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 08:47:28 »
 A History of Ancient Britain with Neil Oliver.

Must admit ive never rated Neil Oliver. My two favorite TV historians are Max Hastings  and Simon Schama. Hastings boook 'Bomber Command' must rank as the definitive last word history of the RAF during WW2. And Simon Schama's 'History of Great Britain' was epic.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 10:39:17 »
Christmas TV is always the same churned out rubbish,  but what I did enjoy on 'Blighty' the other day was Griff Rhys Jones being jollied around this great island of ours and being paid to go up all our great peaks and mountains, :)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 14:15:37 »
Christmas TV is always the same churned out rubbish,  but what I did enjoy on 'Blighty' the other day was Griff Rhys Jones being jollied around this great island of ours and being paid to go up all our great peaks and mountains, :)

Its interesting how ex-comediens make good travelougues, Michael Palin being another example.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 16:28:12 »
If they paid us to galivant around the world I expect we could all do it as well. It is the producer that puts it together and the camera man who knows a good shot.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 16:32:15 »
we have rose bowl parade on here

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 22:00:08 »
I am loving Mrs Browns Boys :) New series stated tonight :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2012, 22:19:26 »
I am loving Mrs Browns Boys :) New series stated tonight :)

Same here.  Watched series one on DVD over new year.  Loved tonight.  Had me in stitches. ;D ;D ;D
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal