Author Topic: cruises  (Read 1728 times)

ACE

• Hectare
cruises
« on: December 30, 2011, 13:30:54 »
We have decided to look at booking a cruise for next xmas. Has anybody on here, been there done that. The canaries and madeira look good. Madeira is one of the places I have gone past but never stopped.

Am I right in thinking that if I book the cheapest cabin early, we get upgraded free as the cheapos get booked up. She wants the full monty, dressing for dinner, all the glitz etc. (she is out now buying the outfits in the sales) I shall not be eating at the captains table though, if I am paying all that dosh, I don't really want to eat with the staff.

Any tips now would be appreciated.

Two Choices

• Acre
Re: cruises
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 20:14:51 »
Hi ACE, we did the first one three years ago and bitten by the bug now. Have done three but none at Christmas though. Done 7 days med from Barcelona, 11 days Russia from Harwych and 11 days Eastern Med from Venice. Haven't heard of the upgrades you mention. Booking early just means you get the cabin that you want. Happy to answer any questions either on the forum or e-mail me if you prefer. TC

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 20:36:10 »
We have cruised the Carribean in the last three years, all in January. We book late and take our chances and we have not been disappointed with the cabins, it is much cheaper than brochure price.
The Med would be rather cold in January but the Canaries and the Greek Islands would be better. If you are going for formal
cruising go to Asda's shopping site. My OH bought a tuxedo including shirt and dickie bow for less than fifteen pounds, It really is not bad quality. He wasn't very happy wearing it but it was only for a couple of nights. The trips that are offered are expensive, you can do the same for half the price using taxis or local transport. The ships we went on included tips and gratuities in the cost of the holiday but some ships take 7 to 10 pound per day for these and this can add up if you go for 2 weeks. British ships are best as the Italian lines tend to cater for the Italians and they are not very good at queuing up. If this cruise is no expenses spared you will have a good choice but little extras mount up and can add pounds onto the cost of your cruise.
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 21:06:22 »
We took Grandson on the Santa special cruise on the Chesterfield canal a couple of weeks ago.
Did not have to spend anything on special outfits but did find a hat and scarf/ mitts useful.
Got  a bit warmer after  15 minutes though as we got mulled wine and mince pies.
If you need any more helpful information Ace, do not hesitate to ask. :-*

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 21:37:30 »
We took Grandson on the Santa special cruise on the Chesterfield canal a couple of weeks ago.
Did not have to spend anything on special outfits but did find a hat and scarf/ mitts useful.
Got  a bit warmer after  15 minutes though as we got mulled wine and mince pies.
If you need any more helpful information Ace, do not hesitate to ask. :-*
I will be up that way this coming August, do they do a summer cruise? and will they pick us up in a stretch limo and take us to the dock. ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 21:45:22 »
Thay do a summer cruise it is a bit longer but no mince pie or Santa :'(
At least with a stretch limo you will be able to staighten the old knees out Ace!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal