Author Topic: 2 x siamese cats need new home  (Read 5163 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
2 x siamese cats need new home
« on: February 01, 2012, 19:12:48 »
I have a mate in Gosport that is trying to find a home for 2 x 7 year old siamese cats.

They are being given away FREE as the owner ,his nan is unable to look after them any more due to ill health.

They are resident in Herefordshire and chris says he could deliver them ""within reason""".

I can put up piccies of them if you are genuinly interested in 2 little cuties.

Gazza

betula

• Hectare
Re: 2 x siamese cats need new home
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 19:22:10 »
Sorry but this is no way to rehome an animal.

House checks and references should be taken.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 19:35:12 »
Couldn't agree more. These are much-loved pets that someone - his nan- is having to give up. It will be a comfort to her to know that her pets are in a loving, caring home where they will be loved and well-treated.

Pedigree cats are not cheap. Prospective owners will be happy to pay for them. Maybe not the full cost but free doesn't guarantee good owners.

If they need to be rehomed fast they'd be better going to cat rescue where prospective owners would be carefully vetted as would their homes.  And the cats would be homed together.

Sorry I'll get off my soap box now. :-[

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 19:44:24 »
Has your mate thought about trying Cats Protection, there is a branch in Gosport, here's the website with details - http://www.gosport.cats.org.uk/

The problem with giving animals away 'free' is that sometimes unscrupulous people offer them a 'home' and then use them as bait in dog fights.  Much better to re-home through a rescue if possible then home checks will be made.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 19:52:00 »
Has your mate thought about trying Cats Protection, there is a branch in Gosport, here's the website with details - http://www.gosport.cats.org.uk/

The problem with giving animals away 'free' is that sometimes unscrupulous people offer them a 'home' and then use them as bait in dog fights.  Much better to re-home through a rescue if possible then home checks will be made.

Thank you Betty. That's what I was stumbling to say!

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 20:06:30 »
first of all as cat lovers myself of some 52 years I was hoping this post would be recieved in the manner I had intended in that I have noticed there are other cat lovers amoungst our membership that may have considered rehoming them as new pets ....if I had any inclination that any of OUR members were anything but humane animal loving people I would certainly NOT have posted this.

Of course I will post your replies to my friend as he has not gone into detail re his nans health issues but needless to say any pets that have been loved for 7 years would be missed by any legitimate owner.

DONT SHOOT THE MESSENGER....but many thanks for your suggestions.

thanks

Gazza
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 20:08:33 by gazza1960 »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 20:12:08 »
Sorry ! I had just come off the phone from an hour and a half call with a friend who needed a lot of help and support and I guess I took it out on you.

Guilty as charged!
Apologies.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 20:13:07 »
It's a horrible subject Anne. There is a campaign on Facebook to stop Gumtree advertising animals, many of which are 'free to a good home'.

I found this in wikipedia:-

Bait animals"Bait" animals are animals used to test a dog's fighting instinct; they are often mauled or killed in the process. Trainers obtain bait animals from several sources: wild or feral animals, animals obtained from a shelter, or in some cases, stolen pets.[2] Sometimes the animals are also obtained through "free to a good home" ads.[3] According to news reports compiled by the Humane Society of the United States, the snouts of bait dogs are wrapped with duct tape to prevent them from injuring dogs being trained for fighting. Their teeth are filed and their nails are cut until nothing is left. Other animals, such as cats and rabbits are also reported to be used as bait animals. Experts have said small dogs, kittens and rabbits are more at risk of being stolen for bait than larger animals.

Gazza, just seen your latest post.  Please don't think I'm having a go at you, but I hope what I have written will be helpful to your friend.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 20:17:59 »
Nobody is having a go at you but there are a lot of nutters out there that would be more than happy to bring those cats to a sad end.

Sure follow up intrest from forum members but they are still strangers.

I don't know why you are apologising Anne.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 20:59:34 »
many thanks squash 64,I am sure your measured and considered reply will be of help to my friend who after all is acting with the benefit of the animals in question,I do not need any apology grawrc as you are certainly within your rights to concern yourself with the aniimals best interest,as its often an open wound issue when there are so many horror stories in our daily reading matter.

quite right betula,I do not know any of the members from adam,and you defend the point perfectly but the PM,s from cat owners on here tonight has done everything I asked of the post in that as a caring animal lover I have been directed in private how best to advise my friend.

and to those that messaged me thank you all I will copy and paste your suggestions directly as chris is desperate to home the animals in a loving caring invironment...!!!!!!

Ill leave this here as I do not wish to exacerbate a simple question.

many thanks

Gary

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 21:28:50 »
I have not messaged the OP but I would just like to say something out in the open: people can be desperate to find new homes for their pets who are part of their family - and to suggest that they are offering their loved ones to be bait in training killer dogs is ... well, less than helpful really.

Good luck in finding homes for the cats Gazza.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 21:36:55 »
I have a friend who just got a puppy and a kitten via gumtree. The male kitten turned out to be female and the puppy had both fleas and worms (enough to make him throw up). For the mog she paid £40 and for the pup (cross lab/collie) £200.

Both will end up being lovely pets mind you. Actually they're pretty lovely already but, after having the pup on my knees all the way home, I was itching like mad! ;D ;D

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 21:47:31 »
I have not messaged the OP but I would just like to say something out in the open: people can be desperate to find new homes for their pets who are part of their family - and to suggest that they are offering their loved ones to be bait in training killer dogs is ... well, less than helpful really.

Good luck in finding homes for the cats Gazza.

I did not suggest that Gazza's mate was offering the cats as bait, how did you understand that from what I wrote?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 21:50:56 »
It was very nice of Anne to apologise :)

dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 22:19:47 »
I had a siamese cat, and loved him to bits, if OH was not such a miserable old git, I would love to have them, but he is already moaning about the terrible twins, that come in my house, so it is a choice between cats and him.  I will have to think carefully about that.  I am sure many people on here love cats, and obviously it would have to be checked out.  I don't see any problem with the post, and just wish I had a big garden, loads of money and would be pleased to have them, but to be sensible the answer is no.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 12:30:53 »
I don't think for one minute that anyone suggested that you would be  purposely  letting these animals go to someone who wouldn't care for them. Its just that this is a public forum and there are some very nasty folks out there who might on the surface seem like cat lovers but are anything but. I agree that CP is the best bet.Hope they soon find homes.
Sorry if you were offended Gazza
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal